Thread: Primer problems

Primer problems

I have a 98 gp1200. I had the yamaha dealer rebuild the carbs and install a primer. The problem is that without the choke drawing the fuel to the carbs the fuel line is empty. The engine starts great with the primer but with no fuel in the lines the ski dies when I give it the gas. I have to feather the gas for about a minute or more before the line fills with gas. Then it runs fine. My question is this. The primer line is T'd into the reserve fuel line. If I install it in the return line will the primer pump draw to the carbs first and then to the primer. I hate this problem. All my friends jump on there skis and fly out onto the lake and I am sitting there trying to get mine to go. Of coarse once mine is going I can blow them out of the water. Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    Budman

+1
    This has been argued before, but if you put the TEE in the return line, and the fuel level in the tank is below the return tube, you'll only suck air into the primer. Leave it where it is.

Prime the engine with a couple of shots, then continue to squirt the primer slowly as the engine comes to life. With the engine running, it should start pumping fuel in a few seconds. If it takes longer, you may have a bad fuel pump (which the dealer should have overhauled), or you may have an air leak on the inlet fuel line (fuel selector valve is a likely candidate).

Thanks for the reply. So this must be a common problem. I will try a few more pumps on the primer after it starts. If the valve is leaking air will I be able to see bubbles in the fuel lines? I have clear blue fuel lines.
    Thanks
    Budman

+1
    I would think that a leaking fuel selector would also cause fuel starvation at high speed.

I've got primers on 4 engines. On each of them, it takes about 10 seconds for the engine to actually run on it's own. It starts immediately, but will probably die if I don't give it another squirt or two with the primer. Then, they usually stay running normally.

Thread Information