Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Spring to Torsion Conversion?

I don't know if it's possible, but has anyone tried to change out the spring axle on their trailer with a torsion axle? I found this: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3663_200323663 and it got me wondering if it is even possible and worth the money/effort. This kit may not work, but they have other ones out there. If any of you have done this, or contemplated doing this, I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have not converted a trailer, but I do have a torsion axle Triton Elite double PWC trailer.

The torsion axle does ride very nicely, with none of the rattle and shake of leaf springs. Much less trailer bounce going over bumps.

I suggest selecting a torsion axle that has just enough weight rating to support your loaded trailer. The axles ride best when the rubber torsion is working in its weight range. Too high a weight rating on the axle will create a more bouncy ride.

You may want to reinforce the trailer frame where the torsion axle mounts to the frame. Triton wraps a long U channel section around the frame where the axle attaches. That spreads the load over a longer section of the frame.

If you want to keep the tongue weight the same, make sure the wheel spindles end up in the same location as they were with the leaf springs. On a torsion axle, the axle mounts forward of the wheel hubs, so the torsion axle itself will not be in the same location as the old axle.

If you go ahead with this conversion, post up some photos of the project.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    i was wanting to do something like that too..
    i was looking at these

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=529

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    i was looking at these

Those are steel. They will never last in salt water!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    i was looking at these

Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    Those are steel. They will never last in salt water!
    What do the aluminum trailer manufacturers use?

My Triton Elite has a Reliable brand steel tube torsion axle, and I think all torsion axles are steel
    Galvanized, perhaps...

BTW, attached photo shows angled axle profile of the torsion axle. This camber pre-load offsets the axle flex under load. Under load, the tires end up vertical to the road surface, but wheels are slightly canted out at the top without a load.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB079412.JPG 
Views:	879 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	175132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB089424b.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	819.5 KB 
ID:	175133  

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What do the aluminum trailer manufacturers use?

My Triton Elite has a Reliable brand steel tube torsion axle, and I think all torsion axles are steel
    Galvanized, perhaps...

BTW, attached photo shows angled axle profile of the torsion axle. This camber pre-load offsets the axle flex under load. Under load, the tires end up vertical to the road surface, but wheels are slightly canted out at the top without a load.
    Thanks for the photos. They really helped me out. Here is what I found on the axle: http://www.reliabletool.com/products/r2100lb.htm Northern Tool carries the Reliable brand torsion parts, but I can't find a 2700 lb axle on their website. I'll have to go into the local store and see if they carry them or if they can order them.

Just out of curiosity, what is the width on that axle on your Triton?

I find it hard to believe that no one has done this to their spring axle trailer before. From what I have been finding, if you do the work yourself, you should be able to do it for around $300 or less if you already have the trailer.

+1
    leaf springs do suck, its a long ride across the street to the ramp

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Piraya33 View Post
    ... I can't find a 2700 lb axle on their website. I'll have to go into the local store and see if they carry them or if they can order them.

Just out of curiosity, what is the width on that axle on your Triton?
    I don't know exactly what the technical width on my axle is, but from outside end of one hub to the other hub tip is around 100 inches.

Including the tires, the whole package width is just under the legal 102 inch maximum (8.5 feet) width for a road trailer.

I will be starting on this project pretty soon. I just picked up an 03' Triton Elite WC-II for $700. I think I got a hell of a deal. I am going to replace the bunks on the Triton and clean it up before I transfer the skis over to it. Once the skis are off my existing trailer, I am going to take a butt-load of measurements and use the Triton as a template for trying this project. I went to Northern Tool the other day and looked at the torsion axles they have. The 3500# one is pretty damn beefy and it only costs $94. I think I will have to order some torsion axle mounting brackets, but the ones on the Triton look like each side is only held on by 2 bolts. Anyways, I will keep you guys posted once I start the project.

K447, you are right about the Triton axle being steel. It is galvanized and it WILL rust. I know this because the one I just picked up has rust on the axle. What year is the Triton you have? How long is it? Mine is a 2003 and it measures 180" overall. I know Triton changed the dimensions around 2002-03, so I am just wondering if I got the newer style "longer" one, or the older "shorter" version. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information