Thread: pump rebuild

pump rebuild

I bought and installed a wsm pump rebuild kit. I installed it as per the greenhulk method,heated the stator in a 210 degree oven for an hour.. meanwhile I placed the bearings in the freezer, anyways after I installed everything, I am spinning the prop and it spins smoothly but... It doesn't free spin, in other words it doesn't keep spinning after i let go, it stops abruptly, is this normal or did I do something wrong? everything went together smoothly, I had no extra parts,I didn't force anything.

+1
    Normal the bearings are factory packed with grease.

thanks, I was getting a little nervous

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you sure the bearings were fully seated into the stator housing?

Before you put the stub shaft in, was the spacer between the bearings tight, or loose, or just nicely touching both bearings? The spacer should be able to slide around a little, but be neither loose nor tight.

When you tighten up the impeller onto the stub shaft, the result is that both bearings and the spacer are clamped together to act like one long bearing. If there is any side force on the bearings, then they will have excess internal friction, which is not good for the bearings.

A properly set up stator won't 'free spin' the impeller, but the rotating friction should be fairly light, with no sense of binding or uneven friction as it rotates.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you sure the bearings were fully seated into the stator housing?

Before you put the stub shaft in, was the spacer between the bearings tight, or loose, or just nicely touching both bearings? The spacer should be able to slide around a little, but be neither loose nor tight.

When you tighten up the impeller onto the stub shaft, the result is that both bearings and the spacer are clamped together to act like one long bearing. If there is any side force on the bearings, then they will have excess internal friction, which is not good for the bearings.

A properly set up stator won't 'free spin' the impeller, but the rotating friction should be fairly light, with no sense of binding or uneven friction as it rotates.
    As I said before, everything went together smooth, the spacer was a little tight between the bearings but, I was able to get it centered fairly easily with the shaft.

There is no binding as I spin the prop.. just no "free" spin.

Thanks for the replies

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    If you get free spin, you've got problems. Most likely bearings will have too much clearance, or you can have what I was sent once. Bearings that were OILED instead of grease.

Spun real nice by hand, but I'm sure would've failed FAST under a prolonged ride.

With such close tolereances for the impeller to wear ring, those bearings need to be precise. Any play at 6000 RPM would most likely result in impeller and wear ring damage or excessive clearances quickly.

Thread Information