+1

filing rideplate holes and sealing grate

i no theres been many posts about this topic but its seems theres always a new product people are using to fill the rideplate holes and intake grate i always used clear silicone but with time some will blow off what do you guys suggest using that will stay on and easy to use for sealing up the grate and filing the rideplate holes?thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wave15stx View Post
    i no theres been many posts about this topic but its seems theres always a new product people are using to fill the rideplate holes and intake grate i always used clear silicone but with time some will blow off what do you guys suggest using that will stay on and easy to use for sealing up the grate and filing the rideplate holes?thanks

Silicone is too soft, it blows out and doesnt provide a solid surface. I use Jb waterweld and sand it flush. I also rough up the back quarter of my hull and rideplate with 120grit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH. View Post
    Silicone is too soft, it blows out and doesnt provide a solid surface. I use Jb waterweld and sand it flush. I also rough up the back quarter of my hull and rideplate with 120grit.

how is the waterweld to work with if it has to be removed from the holes?do you also use this to seal the intake grate?

+1
    how is the waterweld to work with if it has to be removed from the holes?do you also use this to seal the intake grate?
    I use it to seal and the holes and crevices. It is not super easy to remove but with a screw driver and some time it comes out. I also use the string trick. use a small piece of string on the jb weld and leave a small piece hanging out of each hole. When you need to remove just grab it with pliers and pull and a large amount will be removed.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    I use life seal from west marine on the intake and use epoxy stick to fill holes then sand smooth, If you want to take it out i use a screwdriver and hammer to break it loose.

I would use Sikaflex its unbeleivable stuff for marine applications.Nver breaks down and once it sets its like steel.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    I use life seal from west marine on the intake and use epoxy stick to fill holes then sand smooth, If you want to take it out i use a screwdriver and hammer to break it loose.
    jim,ive used the life seal to fill transducer screw holes below the waterline on my boat seemed to work good,do you seal the whole intake grate and grate holes with this stuff?who makes the epoxy stick maybe ill pick some up today to have it ready,hows it to work with?thanks buddy

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    jim,ive used the life seal to fill transducer screw holes below the waterline on my boat seemed to work good,do you seal the whole intake grate and grate holes with this stuff?who makes the epoxy stick maybe ill pick some up today to have it ready,hows it to work with?thanks buddy
    I do not use the life seal to fills holes i only use it to seal the shoe and intake grate. I use jb-stik for the holes http://jbweld.net/products/jbstik.php

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    I do not use the life seal to fills holes i only use it to seal the shoe and intake grate. I use jb-stik for the holes http://jbweld.net/products/jbstik.php
    thanks

Thread Information