+1

Modded RXP doesn't like to start

2004 RXP

RR ECU
    RR Intercooler
    Power pipe
    Power filter
    and other BS...

been having a problem with the ski starting this year sporadically... turns cranks no problem.. then the starter jsut disengages i guess bc it goes to start but it doesn't. almost sounds as if no spark, but it's got to have spark?

sometimes the ski will start no problem 20 times in a row, then sometimes u gotta press start 10 times to get it to run... it seems that the longer the ski idles or sits just floating the more likely it is to give a hard tmie starting.

thought: can the exhaust be filled with water such that it's not allowing the engine to start due to all the backpressure of the water?

or do u think it's more-so an electrical problem? ie spark plugs or coils?

it's almost like the ski gets vapor lock, but skis can't get vapor lock can they?

+1
    there was a start stop button issue...I can't remember what year..But ppl were having problems with them doing somewhat the same thing...
    Or if the exhaust is filling with water it could cause it...I remember the first thru hulls that exited out the back of the waterbox were a B{tch to start..

Steve, how does it run otherwise?

Did you check all the wire connections and terminal thingys on the fuse box?
    How about fuel pressure? just a thought...PR...

+1
    Once I put the 42lb injectors in my 04 it started acting like that. The 06 doesn't do it though.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    ski runs great... just swapped props and put a 15/20 on it. it's running 73.5 at 7950 rpms get another 450 rpms out of it and it'll be cookin for an otherwise budget built machine... it's got stock injectors, fuse box is good...

my next thought was fuel pump, but i thought we already changed the fuel pump on this ski, maybe not tho... it's hit and miss, but most frequently this occurs when the ski has been sitting on the water for a few minutes off or if it was idling for awhile and then docked or turned off.

go fast, then idle around for a minute and turn the ski off... talk a bit, then go to start the ski and it doesn't want to start. once it DOES start tho, u can turn it ona nd off 50 tiems no problem, it's only after it sits or after it's been idling which has me on the hunch of flooded waterbox

here's another thought... heavier riders make the ski ride lower, thus gravity makes more water enter the exhaust with a power flow / pipe design (not as much of a bell / upward curve in the exhaust). ... this guy happens to be a heavy guy

i'm inclined to believe a thru-hull exhaust will solve the problem bc it's highest point is higher than that of a power pipe.

+1
    I`m not buyin gexhaust at all. Just the starter itself will move enough rpm to push the water out. Could it be a small amount of water in the tank? Cause thats what Im leaning to. After you sit it settles. All it takes is droplets at the injectors. My first advice to rule this out is buy a pint of rubbing alcohol and dump it in the tank. This will allow you to burn any water out. Cause it can`t be much if it starts up.

+1
    Idle bypass valve,I've seen several take a ****...

ALL of our ski are turds for starting its normal just crack thre throttle open a little and keep trying.... Its the RR ECU!!!!!

Maybe your losing fuel pressure, leaking down after sitting for a few???...PR...

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    fuel pressure is checked and perfect...

cracking the throttle open doesn't help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information