Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 Polaris SLH Documents/Specifications?

Hey everyone, I'm new to the world of PWC and this forum. I just acquired a 1999 Polaris SLH, seems to be in good working order except for a few minor issues. (Broken throttle handle, apparently inoperative MFD with water beads inside)

The ski is about all I have, no documentation. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could locate specifications, or even an online user manual if possible? Any suggestions of a good place to obtain parts? Any suggestions or things to keep in mind too would be good.

Can't wait to get out there!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below for a good start

The more time you spend reading and searching around these forums, the more you will learn.

Thanks, haha, that is what I spend half of Sunday doing.

I guess the first thing I should check would be the carb and fuel lines in my case.

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    got a 2000 service manual that includes slh if there a specific issue.
    bought on ebay

That's ok, I don't have any specific issues right now. I just got it somewhat unexpectedly, and am trying to learn as much as I can about it.

Thank you thought! If I have any specific issues, I will let you know.

+1
    These specs are from the 1998 I believe. I've also attached a word document. Someone with more knowledge than me can tell us if there are any differences...

SLH

This is the entry-level model in the Polaris lineup, the craft designed for the recreational rider concerned with price. But it isn't just an entry-level model. It will also compete against the midrange models from other manufacturers, both in terms of performance and features.
    It is powered by a 95 hp, 701cc twin with case-reed induction, a water-cooled exhaust and variable-rate oil injection. It's similar to the 701cc engine found in last year's Hurricane sport model and the SL700 Deluxe, though with larger carburetors (40mm CDK). Also like the Hurricane, the SLH uses Ocean Pro Vortex flame arrestors. The engine will turn the standard Polaris Big Mouth Pump, though unlike last year's SL700 and SL700 Deluxe, the SLH will get the 4-inch pump extension to improve performance.
    The SLH runs on the same hull as the SLXH and uses the same redesigned deck, though without the fairing. The new deck and other weight-reducing measures have managed to shave nearly 40 pounds off the SLH, as compared to the SL780.
    The SLH will not get a two-part seat like the SLXH, but it will have the 1.5-gallon under-the-seat storage compartment to go along with the glove box and the five-gallon bow storage. The hatch on the SLH also has the monoshock.

Attached Files Attached Files

THanks for the info! I do have some questions now... how does the oil injection system work? I just make sure there is oil in the resevor and it automatically selects the correct amount to mix with the fuel?

What kind of oil do you reccomend?

Also, what is the limp mode? I read about it but don't know what type of conditions can trigger it?

+1
    do a search you will get all the info you need..but the oil pump is varable oil flow.. which mean it gives the engine the right about of oil at certin rpms.. like wot and lets off when you are idleing.. this is more efficent this way..

+1
    I believe it's 40/1 WOT, 50/1 Midrange and 100/1 while idling.. Seems to be very reliable..

Theres a cable attached to the oil pump and when you move the throttle open, it moves the oil pump diaphram too , which allows more flow of oil as the RPMs increases.

Replace the lines if there all brown looking. zip tie or clamp them on also..

They can crack horizonally or verticalling along the hose. That would create a no oil situation and possible melt down of piston(s)..

Yep, keep the oil tank completly full always.. You'll go thru a couple tanks of gas before you need more oil, but always check it..often.. 1. to make sure its getting used, and 2. So that you know exactly where your at with oil. Don't assume anything. Who knows, the gauge may stop working...You may loose a line or something and not notice till its too late.

Oil is your preference. everybody has thier favorite smell or favorite oil!. It's like women, everyone has thier own taste of what works.lol

Klotz is a good one to use. There's many others depending on the individual skis needs. Theres threads about it on here..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by highamperage View Post
    Thanks for the info! I do have some questions now...

how does the oil injection system work?

I just make sure there is oil in the reservoir and it automatically selects the correct amount to mix with the fuel?

What kind of oil do you recommend?

Also, what is the limp mode?
    I read about it but don't know what type of conditions can trigger it?
    As others have said, the oil pump varies the flow rate depending on throttle position. Overall, the oil injection system uses about 1/2 the oil as pre-mixing the oil into the gasoline. And much less exhaust smoke at idle and low RPM.

The Polaris oil injection system is generally reliable. That said, it is important to maintain it properly. Replace the oil hoses every few years. Make sure the clamps are tight, and replace the oil filter.

There have been many discussions regarding oil. The old TCW3 oil specification is the minimum oil grade. There are many quality levels of TCW3 rated oil. You want a good quality oil, so be careful that you are not buying the cheapest TCW3 oil.

Your engine is turning much higher RPM than an outboard, and runs at higher internal temperatures and mechanical stress levels. Choose a decent quality oil.

Read some of the other oil threads for more discussion. I currently use Amsoil HP Injector synthetic oil. The Polaris brand oils are also quite good, but tend to be expensive.

Try to keep the oil tank above half full

Limp mode is when the maximum engine RPM is electronically limited to around 3500RPM (exact RPM depends on the year/model).

Depending on the year and model, it can be triggered by engine overheat, low fuel, or low oil. Normally the digital dash display will show you a warning message telling you what condition is currently occurring.

Multi-Function Display (MFD)

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information