Cooling question

hey guys i have a 1997 sl 1050 and i have a question about one of the lines that comes off of the cooling manifold on the heads. theres two lines that connect to that manifold one goes to a connection where you connect a hose to wash out the motor. and the other one goes towards the back of the ski and exits the body and drains right above the jet. on the one that goes towards the back there is a shut off valve. whats this valve for? and what position should it be in when riding out on the water?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Post a photo of the valve in question.

My guess is that there is no thermostat installed. Without a thermostat, the normal water exit hose must be clamped off in order to force the garden hose water to flow in reverse direction through the engine cooling system.

If my guess is correct, then the valve must be in the open position when riding.

AND, most important, that garden hose connection must be well sealed and secure. If it opens up while you are riding, it will pump water into the hull, which is not a good thing.

Do not confuse this with a valve in the cooling water feed hose. Some riders add a valve to the feed hose, so they can shut off the water supply from the jet pump before being towed in after a break down.

The water feed must be shut off before towing to prevent water from accumulating in the exhaust system and flooding into the engine.

ok heres the valve im talking about
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0656.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	586.9 KB 
ID:	175361  

+1
    i have the same boat you do.. and i dont have that.. idk where this line goes too but could this be for closing the hose when you are being towed a long way

it just emptys right out by the jet idk either ?

+1
    this is the ski we where talking about a little while ago that the engine is blue and the hin says 1992 right? well there is alot of things going on on that ski but i have no idea what that is for maybe k447 knows

yeah thats the one lol yeah im thinking its the first thing that k447 said it was no thermostat. does your ski have a thermostat on that hose that goes to the back there? or does your ski not have that hose at all?

+1
    well i assume my ski has a thermostat lol but i will have too look. what i can do is next time im back up too where my ski is i will snap photos of everything for you so you have a reference so you know what the ski would look like stock..i might be up there tomorrow so i will post pics when i get them

+1
    Yes,that hose is the water "exit" I also assume the valve is there inorder to flush the cooling system.
    If that valve is closed while riding, it will overheat.

Here is a pick of a 97 SL1050

Thread Information