Water thru air intake

Hi Guys
    I was tinkering with my engine cooling system and found that I had ingested small amounts of salt water thru the intake. Thought I would share for your opinions.

I was running the Riva powerfilter intake and suspect that after having fun in three to four foot waves (submarining and burying the nose in turns) water will run down the handle bar opening (larger gap when they are lifted) and splash back to around the air cleaner with pre filter fitted.

I found salt deposits at the bottom of the air intake hose... found small traces in the exhaust manifold ports and more in the muffler. This formed in less than I week.
    Did not find any in the water jackets or exhaust of cylinder head.
    I occasionally fog my motor (directly into intake manifold).
    I may have to address how I fog and go back to spraying fogging oil down the air intake... but then this coats the sc wheel and intercooler....

Is this build up a concern and any suggestions to flush.... ?

PS I have just changed the intake to the JD Cold air intake... feels much more responsive and sounds great.
    I suspect (hope) that it may be less prone to this type of water ingestion as it is tucked into the cowl?
    If not then for rough water I will fit a bucket around the back of the intake and add the riva filter to the JD intake hose and mount further fwd.
    When I get the chance for some wot river runs I will log and share air intake temp data between the JD & Riva intakes.

Cheers Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Exhaust manifold_20100224_2481_lgt25drk13crop.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	175405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 Exhaust Manifold_20100224_2482_lgt25drk10crop.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	175406   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 Exhaust pipe into water box_20100224_2484_lgt14drk15_crop.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	148.5 KB 
ID:	175407  

looking foward to your findings

+1
    Wow, I wouldn't have expected that with the pre-filter installed on the Riva Kit.

IMO, it's a good idea to fog the SC every once in awhile if you ride in the salt. Rip had a lot of corrosion in his. Not sure what IC you have, but I was thinking of tapping the exhaust side of the Riva cooler for a fogging hose. That way I could fog the SC with the coupler to the IC removed to prevent the oil from coating the core, then reconnect the coupler & spray oil into the hose I installed to keep the TB & internals protected.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eds_FZR View Post
    Hi Guys
    I was tinkering with my engine cooling system and found that I had ingested small amounts of salt water thru the intake. Thought I would share for your opinions.

I was running the Riva powerfilter intake and suspect that after having fun in three to four foot waves (submarining and burying the nose in turns) water will run down the handle bar opening (larger gap when they are lifted) and splash back to around the air cleaner with pre filter fitted.

I found salt deposits at the bottom of the air intake hose... found small traces in the exhaust manifold ports and more in the muffler. This formed in less than I week.
    Did not find any in the water jackets or exhaust of cylinder head.
    I occasionally fog my motor (directly into intake manifold).
    I may have to address how I fog and go back to spraying fogging oil down the air intake... but then this coats the sc wheel and intercooler....

Is this build up a concern and any suggestions to flush.... ?

PS I have just changed the intake to the JD Cold air intake... feels much more responsive and sounds great.
    I suspect (hope) that it may be less prone to this type of water ingestion as it is tucked into the cowl?
    If not then for rough water I will fit a bucket around the back of the intake and add the riva filter to the JD intake hose and mount further fwd.
    When I get the chance for some wot river runs I will log and share air intake temp data between the JD & Riva intakes.

Cheers Ed

I've always wondered about this issue with salt water. My setup's still stock , my parts should arrive at the end of this week which the Riva power filter kit will be installed. Feed back would be great!

+1
    Ed, that is from normal condensation. Those engine parts are hot after a ride. When it cools the droplets are formed.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Ed, that is from normal condensation. Those engine parts are hot after a ride. When it cools the droplets are formed.
    Jerry...
    Thanks heaps... great to know that it is normal condensation.
    I was getting very concerned but will get back to enjoying the riding again.

Cheers
    Ed

Mate I only ride in the surf (gold coast) I,ve got a fx sho with a riva power filter and so far so good. I have removed my foam over the inlets and submerge my ski a lot., jumping and turning in the waves. I took of my filter to clean it and could not find any traces of salt(yet).

+1
    The way Yamaha has the inlet ducts and the positioning of the power filter inlet in the hull makes it virtually impossible to get water into the air intake.

Thread Information