Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Denied

+1

Denied

I knew the answer before I asked the question...

I inquired about fishing an open Bass tourney via my PWC. A very affirmed
    NO came back from the powers that be. It's a fairly high-profile annual Bass tourney that draws about 300 fishermen. It's held to raise funds for a worthy cause, but the rules did not specifically state No PWCs.

My neighbor is actually the tourney director, so he proposed the question to the "Board" of which a "NO!" was sent back to me. I didn't want to show up the morning of the tourney and then cause a ruckus b/c "some guy showed up w/a jet ski..."

I asked him what were the reasons, but they didn't have any good ones, as I shot holes in all the answers that were given.

So, I guess we're officially a menace to the B.A.S.S. What do you guys think?

Any comments I make towards tournament fishing would be negative on many different levels so I'll try to see some of the positive... here goes...

Tournament fishermen, especially in Texas are:

Courteous, no, wait, I misspelled contemtuous.

...dang, this is hard. How about a little help folks.

I think you should start you own PWC fishing tournament and call it
    (use the movie voice)

HULK FIIIISH! -ing tournament for PWC anglers only.

+1
    Don't think I haven't considered it; but I really don't see enough interest in going through the trouble to start a tournament. My background, on the water, comes from organized club tournament fishing. With that in mind, how many guys out there want to fish off a PWC and have the ability to keep their fish alive until weigh-in time? And, those same people all live in the same geographic region? The answer: Prob. between 0 and 1.

Meanwhile, I'll just go out w/my local friend or two, or by myself, and go catch some fish to eat, and have fun while I'm doing it...

But, - get me 9 other guys that want in, and I'll put my money up against theirs.

My apologies. I didn't mean to lump you in with all the crazies I've had to deal with on the local lakes.

Here in Austin we have a "King Of The Lake" tourney series on Town Lake which is a lake that doesn't allow motorized vessels. Instead of lugging fish back to the dock participants are assigned a unique code that is written on the back of their hand when they sign in. In their posession while fishing needs to be a digital camera and an approved measuring device. When a fish is caught a photo is taken of the fish on the measuring device with the hand with the code in plain view and the fish is released where it was caught. At weigh in the photos are scrutinized and they do some Steven Hawkings stuff with the measured length and determine the winner(s). In my opinion this is way better than lugging a bunch of ditch pickles back to a weigh-in and then releasing them in water that they may not be acclimated to.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitsurido View Post
    My apologies. I didn't mean to lump you in with all the crazies I've had to deal with on the local lakes.

Here in Austin we have a "King Of The Lake" tourney series on Town Lake which is a lake that doesn't allow motorized vessels. Instead of lugging fish back to the dock participants are assigned a unique code that is written on the back of their hand when they sign in. In their posession while fishing needs to be a digital camera and an approved measuring device. When a fish is caught a photo is taken of the fish on the measuring device with the hand with the code in plain view and the fish is released where it was caught. At weigh in the photos are scrutinized and they do some Steven Hawkings stuff with the measured length and determine the winner(s). In my opinion this is way better than lugging a bunch of ditch pickles back to a weigh-in and then releasing them in water that they may not be acclimated to.
    Oh, no worries - I still go both ways when it comes to fishing (Boat & PWC).
    The PWC is just so much more fun & unique...

So, a Techy weigh-in? That is so strange - I've never heard of it, but yeah, I can see that working. That would sure make it hard to have a fish gain weight after it's been caught: On the way to the scales, drag your fish across the (gravel) parking lot. Theoretically, you should p/u a few rocks in a mouth or two thereby adding to your total weight.... Well, that's what my old man taught me anyway...

+1

fishn

Im sure glad someone agrees with me that fishing off pwc is so much better especially when you have a few pwc's at a time. I dont get why people get so aggravated that people are fishing off of pwc's?? I wave to everyone i pass, like most boats do, and majority wave back but there really are some that just turn there heads and I just dont get it. its basically a small boat, and its made for the water. SO WHAT IF I FISH OFF IT!!

p.s. 83gator the tourney will take place! I will spread the word as much as I can and hopefully people from around here will start to catch on and want to join. Been wanting to do something like this since the late 90's

+1
    Just curious... where do you do most of your PWC fishing?

The majority of mine is done in the marsh, south west of Amelia, out of Bob's Bayou Black Marina. But I'd like to learn some new areas.

I've made a couple of boat trips w/my b-n-l around Golden Meadow and the Biloxi Marsh/Lake Borgne area. But to be honest, I don't care for the "big" water - I'd rather stay inland. And I don't mind fishing slight salt/brackish, but I'd rather launch and return to fresh so as to get an automatic fresh flush.

+1
    Cocodrie mainly, but a lil bit of lake borgne and the tressels in lake pontchatrain. We mostly fish the marsh for reds and specs but when weather is perfect we might go fish the birds in lake. I have been known a time or two to run to the island and fish the gulf side but thats rare. Cocodrie is about an hr to hr and half east/southeast of Emelia. We are planning a 2day trip to cocodrie the Sat. before Mothers Day. (im only able to do this cause my Wife and Mother are going on a charter) anyway your more than welcome to come if you can swing it. I will say that its salt fishing, but all marsh.

Banned User
    +1
    When I lived in Mississippi, years ago, we used to fish in the Wolf River......with Dynamite!!!
    Yep, you could buy it at the hardware store. It was a special type, that had a waterproof fuse.
    That sure was fun....kaboom, up come the fish. You grab the stunned ones, and leave the mush to the gators.

Don't imagine you can fish like that anymore, huh??

As you can tell, I'm not really much of a fisherman. To slow for me.

But, why do you need a "bass boat" to enter in a bass tournament?? Is the boat part of the competition??
    Can people enter these tournaments without a boat, and fish from shore??
    I fail to see why a property equipped PWC(like Brian's), can't enter these tournaments.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 504tim View Post
    Cocodrie mainly, but a lil bit of lake borgne and the tressels in lake pontchatrain. We mostly fish the marsh for reds and specs but when weather is perfect we might go fish the birds in lake. I have been known a time or two to run to the island and fish the gulf side but thats rare. Cocodrie is about an hr to hr and half east/southeast of Emelia. We are planning a 2day trip to cocodrie the Sat. before Mothers Day. (im only able to do this cause my Wife and Mother are going on a charter) anyway your more than welcome to come if you can swing it. I will say that its salt fishing, but all marsh.
    I said the marsh SW of Amelia? I meant SE. As a matter of fact I actually fish not far from Lake Decade, which is to say near the Falgout Marina.

I appreciate the invite and would love for you to teach me some territory. My fishing has been w/90% artificial lures for bass and reds, w/o changing the bait. You'll know whats on the end of your line as soon as you set the hook.

I've got another local who I'm sure would like to join us, if that is ok?

Maybe you can send me some GE.kmz to show me your stomping grounds (PM)?

Quote Originally Posted by iflyems View Post
    When I lived in Mississippi, years ago, we used to fish in the Wolf River......with Dynamite!!!
    Yep, you could buy it at the hardware store. It was a special type, that had a waterproof fuse.
    That sure was fun....kaboom, up come the fish. You grab the stunned ones, and leave the mush to the gators.

Don't imagine you can fish like that anymore, huh??

As you can tell, I'm not really much of a fisherman. To slow for me.

But, why do you need a "bass boat" to enter in a bass tournament?? Is the boat part of the competition??
    Can people enter these tournaments without a boat, and fish from shore??
    I fail to see why a property equipped PWC(like Brian's), can't enter these tournaments.
    I tried to reason the same issue of "why a boat". Fists off, it wasn't in the rules (but will be next year!) I think the largest misconception is that the PWC can go (shallow water) where the prop driven bass boat can't. Which is viewed by bass fisherman as unfair and probably is... EXCEPT, as we all know - PWCs are not "shallow water" vehicles. I don't know about you guys, but if I'm in 2 - 3 foot of water, I'm in trouble. But in a boat no problem... Those guys just don't get it. There are places I'll go in a 20' BB that I'm not about to put by SD in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information