+1

VTS Boot Leaking right from the factory, and easy solution

LEAKING VTS BOOT ISSUE
    This concerns the leaking VTS boot issue. My 2004 RXP VTS boot (that goes around the VTS control rod to make a seal) leaked. I figured it was just old.

But now i just bought a new 2009 RXP-X, and it leaks also, right from the factory still in brand new condition!

I bet if you guys check your VTS housing, it might be full of water right now!

SIMPLE SOLUTION:
    Instead of using metal clamps that damage the boot, making it leak again eventually anyway, I just simply took the VTS housing cover off.
    Now, it can leak all it wants, and the water will just drain into the bilge and get pumped out.
    As long as the VTS cover is off, the water wont build up, rising to a level inside the VTS unit where it can damage the motor, or sit without drying and work its way inside the electronics.

Easy fix.

Just be careful to not spray water back there on the exposed VTS motor, or get your bilge full of water (bad idea anyway) and you should be fine.

-Phil

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    I replace that boot every year along with the 2 plastic finger snap clamps... it doesn't hurt to apply a little silicone around the mating surfaces of the boot either. I have never had an issue with one leaking, nor have I heard of very many! Why not just fix the issue... instead of just leaving the cover off and letting it leak

+1
    thanks for the info. i must just have bad luck, 2 VTS boots leaking in a row, what are the odds?

ill have to try the silicone fix.

the point of leaving the cover off is to make sure no damage occurs even if there is an unknown leak in the boot, since i have no way of knowing if it is leaking or not without taking the thing apart after each ride, which is a pain in the butt on the X model

+1

Re: VTS Boot Leaking right from the factory, and easy solution

uh jammer had a good fix in a thread last year. just pack the vts housing with grease. seriously pack it tight. then replace cover and never worry bout it again. the grease will surround the vts motor and keep water from destroying it. personally I haven't done it...yet. but its a future 'mod'.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Uhhhh... the words "Jammer", "pack it tight" & "good fix"........ should never be used in the same post BTW... that's an assload of grease to fill that housing full Jammer carries that much grease on board for other reasons ... don't let him fool you as to why

+1
    You can pump the boot full with grease,keeps the water out also.

Quote Originally Posted by Makesumwake View Post
    thanks for the info. i must just have bad luck, 2 VTS boots leaking in a row, what are the odds?
    Right there with ya... bought my 08' P-X brand new May 08'. After a month, I installed mods which required removal of the VTS motor... about 1/2 full of water. Replaced with new boot/clamps and checked it a couple of months later... water again. I asked about it then and people said yup.. normal, and to forget about it. It'll just eventually kill the VTS motor (Sea-Doo VTS's have done the same thing since the old 720/787 XPs).

-=Mike G.

+1
    Why don't you just drill a 1/4" holer in the bottom of the cover and that will let the water drain and still cover the motor and wiring?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tchies View Post
    Why don't you just drill a 1/4" holer in the bottom of the cover and that will let the water drain and still cover the motor and wiring?
    Exactly ... I drilled two holes in the lowest parts of the housing/cover to let water out. That and pack the rubber boot with grease ...

Thread Information