Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    ...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Hamptons, Long Island, New York
    Posts
    790
    +1
    5

    X-Charger On Non-X Boat

    Ok, so with the Boating Season coming up soon, I'm getting the Itch to throw some more Mods at my Boat. I'm not going all out like I wanted to before, but I just want it have some more Balls than it has now. Maybe get it up to 60mph, but I doubt without going to crazy, I won't get much more over that, but maybe I will?

    From what I've Read, it's Safe to run an X-Charger with 42's on a 215hp Engine with a 215hp Internal Intercooler, Correct?

    Now, I know that Running more Boost, and the Internal IC is gonna be a Restriction, that's gonna Translate into more Heat, Correct?

    So should I also Install the Rotax Thermostat I have here as well, to help Combat the Heat?

    IIRC, people even saw Gains on a totally Stock Engine with the Addition of the Rotax 'Stat due to the Engine having less Heat Soak.

    Does all that Sound right?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    1,414
    Eh, the thermostat and the intercooler are dealing with completely separate sources of heat, and using one will not make up for not using the other. The IC is increasing power by making more oxygen atoms fit in a smaller space. The thermo will just open to at a lower temperature (131F or 156F) than the stock thermo would at about 180+. This does nothing to cool the charge of air. It only will only reduce the "heatsoak" that can cause a slight performance decrease after the engine has been running for a while. You might want to wait on the thermostat until you definitely notice the symptoms of heatsoak. The symptom is, you lose a hundred or so RPMs after about 15-20min of boating.

    Yes, pretty safe w/stock IC, 42s, & X-charger. Performance won't be much better than dropping in a stage 2 wheel, though, but it's a start. The restriction of the internal IC won't increase the heat. In fact, it's the reason the combo is safe, because it will only let so much charge by, and will cool that charge fairly well because of the restriction.

  3. #3
    DOUGNASH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    89
    Performance won't be much better than dropping in a stage 2 wheel, though, but it's a start. [/QUOTE]

    OK, so if u are starting with a stock 215 motor, which is the better investment, the stage 2 wheel or the x-charger?

    The stock charger needs to be pulled anyway to replace the bearings...

    If you do the x-charger, u can still always get a bigger wheel for it down the road if u still want to increase performance, correct?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lake Dunlap, Texas
    Posts
    1,599
    +1
    28
    The X charger by far. No comparison to the upgrade wheel--night and day difference in boost and air volume.

  5. #5
    JD 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,186
    +1
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed View Post
    Ok, so with the Boating Season coming up soon, I'm getting the Itch to throw some more Mods at my Boat. I'm not going all out like I wanted to before, but I just want it have some more Balls than it has now. Maybe get it up to 60mph, but I doubt without going to crazy, I won't get much more over that, but maybe I will?

    From what I've Read, it's Safe to run an X-Charger with 42's on a 215hp Engine with a 215hp Internal Intercooler, Correct?

    Now, I know that Running more Boost, and the Internal IC is gonna be a Restriction, that's gonna Translate into more Heat, Correct?

    So should I also Install the Rotax Thermostat I have here as well, to help Combat the Heat?

    IIRC, people even saw Gains on a totally Stock Engine with the Addition of the Rotax 'Stat due to the Engine having less Heat Soak.

    Does all that Sound right?
    throw 2) mini rudes and 2) open loop kits at it and NOTHING ELSE, it will make a bigtime difference. no need for 42's or aftermarket IC's. the IC's will just heat fade bad and not give you a gain your looking for.

    I did this install with 2 Rude1's and open loop's couple years ago and the customer said it was too fast... no joke

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by DOUGNASH View Post
    Performance won't be much better than dropping in a stage 2 wheel, though, but it's a start.

    OK, so if u are starting with a stock 215 motor, which is the better investment, the stage 2 wheel or the x-charger?

    The stock charger needs to be pulled anyway to replace the bearings...

    If you do the x-charger, u can still always get a bigger wheel for it down the road if u still want to increase performance, correct?
    Although you're not getting the full potential when used in conjunction with the stock IC, I'd still say the X-charger is a better bargain and the way to go. I said it won't be much better, but that still means it will be better to some degree. Then in the future, you're all set to get an external IC and RRPRF, and really bump up performance, without having to touch the charger. Hell, dropping in upgraded 127mm wheel doesn't require an injector upgrade, so you know the 137mm X-charger is pushing a bit more air past the IC, since it needs 42# injectors. I've said this before, and I'll say it again though... performance mods are much more noticable in light skis, than in heavy boats. The same mod that gives a ski a 2mph gain, will give a boat a 1mph gain, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

    You can get a spacer and taller 137mm wheel for the X-charger in the future too, and possibly get it bored-out to accept a 140mm wheel in the future (though you would probaby be better off selling it and buy the larger charger).

  7. #7
    ...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Hamptons, Long Island, New York
    Posts
    790
    +1
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    throw 2) mini rudes and 2) open loop kits at it and NOTHING ELSE, it will make a bigtime difference. no need for 42's or aftermarket IC's. the IC's will just heat fade bad and not give you a gain your looking for.

    I did this install with 2 Rude1's and open loop's couple years ago and the customer said it was too fast... no joke
    So do the Mini Rude Upgrade to the X-Charger and an Open Loop Kit, and that's it?

    Not even Injectors?

  8. #8
    JD 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,186
    +1
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed View Post
    So do the Mini Rude Upgrade to the X-Charger and an Open Loop Kit, and that's it?

    Not even Injectors?
    Yes, If your IC is stock there is no need for injectors. When you upgrade IC'ers (ever?) then you can get the 42's.

  9. #9
    ...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Hamptons, Long Island, New York
    Posts
    790
    +1
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    Yes, If your IC is stock there is no need for injectors. When you upgrade IC'ers (ever?) then you can get the 42's.
    How come People Recommend the 42's with the X-Charger, but not the Rude 1, when the Rude is gonna put out more Boost than the X-Charger?

  10. #10
    JD 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    4,186
    +1
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed View Post
    How come People Recommend the 42's with the X-Charger, but not the Rude 1, when the Rude is gonna put out more Boost than the X-Charger?
    I have no idea what other people do but if I had to guess you are confused and they are running a external IC with the X charger.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Factory X sponsons on a non X boat (pictures added)
    By Magnummmmmmmmmm in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-05-2016, 07:26 AM
  2. Rude Charger on stock Boat? Can't remember.
    By Water4fire in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-07-2007, 12:21 PM
  3. Newbie Here: Need advice on 1st jet boat
    By Davesavvy in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 10:12 PM
  4. Jetworks - FERCHO - Bypass loc on XLL 1200 on back of boat?
    By snowrunner in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2006, 01:25 PM
  5. Jay Edworthy wins 1st overall @ Rochester on Race Tech boat
    By two2curupt in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 08:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •