Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ...Lighting The Water On Fire Since '04 duramaxxed's Avatar
    +1

X-Charger On Non-X Boat

Ok, so with the Boating Season coming up soon, I'm getting the Itch to throw some more Mods at my Boat. I'm not going all out like I wanted to before, but I just want it have some more Balls than it has now. Maybe get it up to 60mph, but I doubt without going to crazy, I won't get much more over that, but maybe I will?

From what I've Read, it's Safe to run an X-Charger with 42's on a 215hp Engine with a 215hp Internal Intercooler, Correct?

Now, I know that Running more Boost, and the Internal IC is gonna be a Restriction, that's gonna Translate into more Heat, Correct?

So should I also Install the Rotax Thermostat I have here as well, to help Combat the Heat?

IIRC, people even saw Gains on a totally Stock Engine with the Addition of the Rotax 'Stat due to the Engine having less Heat Soak.

Does all that Sound right?

Eh, the thermostat and the intercooler are dealing with completely separate sources of heat, and using one will not make up for not using the other. The IC is increasing power by making more oxygen atoms fit in a smaller space. The thermo will just open to at a lower temperature (131F or 156F) than the stock thermo would at about 180+. This does nothing to cool the charge of air. It only will only reduce the "heatsoak" that can cause a slight performance decrease after the engine has been running for a while. You might want to wait on the thermostat until you definitely notice the symptoms of heatsoak. The symptom is, you lose a hundred or so RPMs after about 15-20min of boating.

Yes, pretty safe w/stock IC, 42s, & X-charger. Performance won't be much better than dropping in a stage 2 wheel, though, but it's a start. The restriction of the internal IC won't increase the heat. In fact, it's the reason the combo is safe, because it will only let so much charge by, and will cool that charge fairly well because of the restriction.

Performance won't be much better than dropping in a stage 2 wheel, though, but it's a start. [/QUOTE]

OK, so if u are starting with a stock 215 motor, which is the better investment, the stage 2 wheel or the x-charger?

The stock charger needs to be pulled anyway to replace the bearings...

If you do the x-charger, u can still always get a bigger wheel for it down the road if u still want to increase performance, correct?

+1
    The X charger by far. No comparison to the upgrade wheel--night and day difference in boost and air volume.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxxed View Post
    Ok, so with the Boating Season coming up soon, I'm getting the Itch to throw some more Mods at my Boat. I'm not going all out like I wanted to before, but I just want it have some more Balls than it has now. Maybe get it up to 60mph, but I doubt without going to crazy, I won't get much more over that, but maybe I will?

From what I've Read, it's Safe to run an X-Charger with 42's on a 215hp Engine with a 215hp Internal Intercooler, Correct?

Now, I know that Running more Boost, and the Internal IC is gonna be a Restriction, that's gonna Translate into more Heat, Correct?

So should I also Install the Rotax Thermostat I have here as well, to help Combat the Heat?

IIRC, people even saw Gains on a totally Stock Engine with the Addition of the Rotax 'Stat due to the Engine having less Heat Soak.

Does all that Sound right?
    throw 2) mini rudes and 2) open loop kits at it and NOTHING ELSE, it will make a bigtime difference. no need for 42's or aftermarket IC's. the IC's will just heat fade bad and not give you a gain your looking for.

I did this install with 2 Rude1's and open loop's couple years ago and the customer said it was too fast... no joke

Quote Originally Posted by DOUGNASH View Post
    Performance won't be much better than dropping in a stage 2 wheel, though, but it's a start.

OK, so if u are starting with a stock 215 motor, which is the better investment, the stage 2 wheel or the x-charger?

The stock charger needs to be pulled anyway to replace the bearings...

If you do the x-charger, u can still always get a bigger wheel for it down the road if u still want to increase performance, correct?
    Although you're not getting the full potential when used in conjunction with the stock IC, I'd still say the X-charger is a better bargain and the way to go. I said it won't be much better, but that still means it will be better to some degree. Then in the future, you're all set to get an external IC and RRPRF, and really bump up performance, without having to touch the charger. Hell, dropping in upgraded 127mm wheel doesn't require an injector upgrade, so you know the 137mm X-charger is pushing a bit more air past the IC, since it needs 42# injectors. I've said this before, and I'll say it again though... performance mods are much more noticable in light skis, than in heavy boats. The same mod that gives a ski a 2mph gain, will give a boat a 1mph gain, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

You can get a spacer and taller 137mm wheel for the X-charger in the future too, and possibly get it bored-out to accept a 140mm wheel in the future (though you would probaby be better off selling it and buy the larger charger).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    throw 2) mini rudes and 2) open loop kits at it and NOTHING ELSE, it will make a bigtime difference. no need for 42's or aftermarket IC's. the IC's will just heat fade bad and not give you a gain your looking for.

I did this install with 2 Rude1's and open loop's couple years ago and the customer said it was too fast... no joke
    So do the Mini Rude Upgrade to the X-Charger and an Open Loop Kit, and that's it?

Not even Injectors?

+1
    So do the Mini Rude Upgrade to the X-Charger and an Open Loop Kit, and that's it?

Not even Injectors?
    Yes, If your IC is stock there is no need for injectors. When you upgrade IC'ers (ever?) then you can get the 42's.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    Yes, If your IC is stock there is no need for injectors. When you upgrade IC'ers (ever?) then you can get the 42's.
    How come People Recommend the 42's with the X-Charger, but not the Rude 1, when the Rude is gonna put out more Boost than the X-Charger?

+1
    How come People Recommend the 42's with the X-Charger, but not the Rude 1, when the Rude is gonna put out more Boost than the X-Charger?
    I have no idea what other people do but if I had to guess you are confused and they are running a external IC with the X charger.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information