Need Some Advice

I'm not a PWC expert so I need some unbiased advice from an expert or two. I have a 2002 MSX140 that ran beautifully until this summer when the engine blew - very low compression on all. Nobody has been able to diagnose the cause (using a new brand of oil or dirt in the funnel are guesses). I've been quoted over $2000 for a new engine which I believe is higher than blue book value. The machine is in outstanding condition otherwise. Any advice would be appreciated.

+1
    Welcome to the HULK!

K-447 Knows quite a bit about the newer polaris's. I myself don't have any experience with those. Keddano also has a MSX. Maybe message them or they may just chime in here.

You found the right place to diagnose your situation. The search function is a great way to learn about these skis.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Sorry to hear about the engine failure. Has the engine been torn down to establish the extent of the damage?

Where are you located?

Are you interested in rebuilding the engine yourself, or having it done?

Thanks for the welcome guys. The engine has not been torn down but the compression readings are 10/20/120. I've been holding off spending any money until I have somewhat of a strategy. I live in Michigan but the machine is in Alabama right now - that's where we were when we had the problem. I'm interested in having someone rebuild it if it can be done without spending an arm and a leg. I have no idea how good the mechanics are that have looked at it so I'm hesitant to do anything without more input. I'm open for any ideas or recommendations. Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Well, you have a number of options. There are some good shops that still know their way around a Polaris engine, but they tend to be spread out across the countryside.

If it is an MSX 140 (they only made them in 2003 and 2004), then the cylinders are Nicasil plated. If it was an oiling failure, then two or possibly all three cylinders may need to be re-bored and re-plated. And of course new pistons, rings, gaskets, etc.

How much it will cost to repair is going to depend on how badly hurt the engine is internally.

Do you know how many running hours the engine has on it?

If you are willing to remove and ship the engine, then we can recommend several reputable rebuild shops.

If you just want to drop the entire ski at a good shop, then you may be in for some driving to get it there.

Don't focus entirely on resale prices or book valuations. If you like the ski, then it is reasonable to get the engine rebuilt. It will run like new, and if well maintained should last for years to come.

If you buy another used machine (of any brand), it will be a used machine, and you will not have the confidence of knowing it has a properly rebuilt engine inside.

I also have an MSX 140, and it still compares well with modern hulls from other brands.

The MSX 140 is still a very nice PWC. If you can do so, find a way to get it back on the water

There are some other periodic maintenance items that you would be well advised to have done at the same time. None are major cost items, just prudent replacements, like drive shaft and jet pump seals and bearings.

If you have low compression on all 3 cylinders, I would expect all 3 cylinders will need to be replated...Crank could also be bad...depends on it if was a lack of fuel failure or a lack of oil. You also need to make sure someone finds the root of the problem, or it will happen again.

Where are you in MI?

I'm in Ortonville - between Detroit and Flint

Quote Originally Posted by ifishngolf View Post
    I'm in Ortonville - between Detroit and Flint
    I'm about 15min away...have any pics of the damage? Do any of the crank bearings look "blued"?

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like at least 2 cyls would need replating, Replating runs about 175.00 to 225.00 per cylinder,Piston kit(piston, rings,c clip) about 130.00 each. Then you have gaskets and O-rings for the cyl. to head mounting. So you might be in to 700.00 range if that's all that is required and doing the work yourself. You won't find as nice of ski for that price. Was you riding it when it acted up? Can you fill us in more on what and how it happened?

Thread Information