Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Texas Title Assistance

I live in Texas, and recently obtained a PWC and need to get it titled etc. This was a trade, and the person who I obtained it from did provide a bill of sale but does not have title to the PWC. He states he also traded for the ski and the owner assured him he would provide the title via mail, but never did. Supposedly, there was a check done to see if the PWC was stolen and it came back clean. We shall see. Given the conditions, I feel the person who I obtained the ski from was being honest, but I don't know about what happened before that. Considered the item I traded I did not use, I deem it worth the risk.

I am wondering where I should start for trying to get all this mess legal so I can enjoy the PWC this summer. It does have an expired Texas registration if that makes any difference.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

+1
    i know in new york all you need is the regi.. so if its signed over and you have a bill of sale you would be set here in ny idk about ny though..

Hmm... I think texas is a lot more uptight though. I was browsing their requirements and it seems like there isn't a solution, at least an easy one, especially if I can't get a response out of or locate the registered owner. Also, by registration I mean it has a texas registration number on it. I don't actually have the paper registration.

This will not be fun! lol.

2000 pro 785 (son's) 1998 pro 785 (dads) old guy in mich's Avatar
    at least in michigan you need a bill of sale to register. they do a title search/stolen vehicle report/ck hull #s of the existing registration and if clean issue a mi title. pay registration, sale tax if any and you dont have to be a resident either.
    if texas make you jump thru hoops ck and see if an adjacent state is more lenient

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by old guy in mich View Post
    at least in michigan you need a bill of sale to register. they do a title search/stolen vehicle report/ck hull #s of the existing registration and if clean issue a mi title. pay registration, sale tax if any and you dont have to be a resident either.
    if texas make you jump thru hoops ck and see if an adjacent state is more lenient
    i never thought of that.. hmmm wounder if that would work

That's a thought then I could "sell" it to myself so to speak and obtian a texas registration. Although out of state registration is fine in my opinion.

I'll check into that!

+1
    I am in the Middle of a Texas Registration Nightmare as well,
    I was able to look on line at the Texas Parks and
    I had a bill of sale signed by him with the vin number and date of the sale, and presto, I am now the new owner, now the other ski I am trying to register is from NY and the previous owner sold it to a guy in FT Worth TX, he never registered it, Texas parks and wildlife sent papers to NY and they came back with another name of the last person that had it registered in 2000. I found that person and he said he traded it in with a blown engine to 3 Seas Recreation in Mayville NY.
    Tom at 3 seas has no idea how Racer116 got the ski, nor does he even remember the transaction, but now I have a bill of sale from Mr. B. to Mr. J. to Mr. S. to me,
    I am hoping to fininsh my registration this week,
    Last edited by skigolfnut; 03-04-2010 at 08:56 AM.

You need a title in TX. You can use the HIN or the bow number on the TPWD site and look up the name of the person who was last on the title and registration. If you get lucky and can find that person and get them to supply the tittle or at least the paperwork to get a lost title, it will go fairly easily. Follow the link HERE to look up the owner's info.

Otherwise, you have to get a bonded title and if nobody steps forward and claims ownership to the boat in a certain time frame (2 years?) you will get a full title. You can register and use the boat during the bond period.

+1
    go directly to a title service and let them handle it... the laws have changed a lot

call these folks

Gulf Coast Title
    713-946-0006
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    You need a title in TX. You can use the HIN or the bow number on the TPWD site and look up the name of the person who was last on the title and registration. If you get lucky and can find that person and get them to supply the tittle or at least the paperwork to get a lost title, it will go fairly easily. Follow the link HERE to look up the owner's info.

Otherwise, you have to get a bonded title and if nobody steps forward and claims ownership to the boat in a certain time frame (2 years?) you will get a full title. You can register and use the boat during the bond period.

The website you mentioned worked, I was able to obtain a name and address. However, the phone number associated in the phone book has been disconnected, and I think the owner is no longer at the registered address. Unfortently I may have gambled and lost on this one, there is a lien by a local bank. But I can still hope either it won't take much to satisfy the lien, they will be willing to release it, or better yet maybe the records are outdated.

What should the next step be... call the bank in regards to the lien, (I'm guessing they wouldn't be willing to provide contact info for the owner?) try to apply for a bonded title, or something else?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information