• 4 stroke marine oil

14 66.67%
  • 4 stroke motor bike oil

3 14.29%
  • normal everday car oil

4 19.05%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

yes another oil question

so as above im about to do an oil change on a stx 15f (4 stroke )

and after being around boats a lot when i was younger i just cant see why dealers are recommending oils that arent marine grade

now im not having a go at anybody i just want to know whats the go

why are ppl using 4 stroke bike oil or even worse in my eyes normal car engine oil

now its not just the dealers doing this even some of the local oil web sites (castrol,valvoline ) to name a few are recommending car engine oils or 4 stroke bike oils

but when i contacted there technical info line i was told its probably best to use a 4 stroke marine oil since just as a boat lots of jetskis spend the winter unused and are also used in salt water when in use

in short whats the go who uses normal engine oil , 4 stroke marine oil , 4 stroke bike oil

after voting if you can please say if you have had any engine problems not caused by bad maintenance or water intrusion

cheers trev

If I had to take a guess I would think PWC are exempt from this. I think they are leaning and talking more about power boats or those with inboard V8's where they recommend normal motor oil because they are pretty much the same in a certain sense. I know in my boat I run Royal Purple which is a motor oil and not a marine grade oil.

For your PWC I would use marine oil. I am not a oil expert but I think motor oil is a little thicker and doesn't burn off or breakdown as fast. So in a PWC you would probably need something of lighter weight and I think 4 stroke marine oil is lighter then motor oil. This is just an educated guess though.

thanks for your input mate after sending a few more emails to a couple of oil companys ive been sent the following info so far that they think i should be using in my ski

Castrol Super Plus 4 Stroke Outboard Oil here is the company pdf

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/94...rk_b131099.pdf

Mineral based, high performance oil, engineered exclusively for 4 stroke engines
    Suitable for use in Japanese, American & European 4 stroke inboard & outboard marine engines
    Contains ICP (Internal Corrosion Protection) technology
    Improved start-up helps prolong battery life
    Exceeds API petrol rating SM (supersedes SL, SJ, SG, SH) & ACEA A3/B3
    Can be used in light duty diesel engines

PENRITE MARINE OUTBOARD FOUR STROKE OIL

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdf...r%20Stroke.pdf

im still waiting on a few others to reply

cheers trev

+1
    Amsoil Marine.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Mobil 1.

Quote Originally Posted by trevs View Post
    thanks for your input mate after sending a few more emails to a couple of oil companys ive been sent the following info so far that they think i should be using in my ski

Castrol Super Plus 4 Stroke Outboard Oil here is the company pdf

http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/94...rk_b131099.pdf

Mineral based, high performance oil, engineered exclusively for 4 stroke engines
    Suitable for use in Japanese, American & European 4 stroke inboard & outboard marine engines
    Contains ICP (Internal Corrosion Protection) technology
    Improved start-up helps prolong battery life
    Exceeds API petrol rating SM (supersedes SL, SJ, SG, SH) & ACEA A3/B3
    Can be used in light duty diesel engines

PENRITE MARINE OUTBOARD FOUR STROKE OIL

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/pis_pdf...r%20Stroke.pdf

im still waiting on few others to reply

cheers trev
    Did you ask them what the difference is between motor oil and marine oil? I am a little curious about the difference in the two.

castrol and penrite said essentially they are the same oils besides the different grades and friction points thats common too all oils

only that marine oils have better corrosion protection properties as it contains something in the oil to allow a thin film of oil to remain over engine components for a long time after the motor has been shut down which in turn makes them perfect for salt water marine use

i wonder how many ppl using normal car motor oils have issues with internal rust after storing their ski for the winter or only using it once a month

cheers trev

That makes sense and it is a good thing. I don't have any problems using the motor oil instead of marine grade in my boat, but then again it is a inboard so it really never comes in contact with the water except for the cooling but that stays in the cooling chambers of the motor.

i asked about the high rpm of jetski motors and both oil company techs said the same thing

here is one of the replys

Kawasaki make their specification recommendations based on the engineering of the engine and its intended use. The product you mention meets these specifications and should work well. The performance combination of the oil and the engine is best determined by a used oil analysis

i called him an asked about these details as well and was told besides the above that most modern 4 stroke boat motors rev at about 5000 to 6000 rpm redline and although jetski motors rev up around 8000rpm depending on the model for extended periods of time

the oil specifications from both companys meet or exceed the specifications required by kawasaki

from what ive been told in the past there is very little difference between bike and car oil these days unlike 20 years ago and it has more to do with the fact the gearbox and engine share the same oil in lots of bikes rather the fact the bike is high reving

cheers trev

if you just want to stay with mineral oil, use the Kawasaki 4 stroke marine oil. If you want synthetic use the Amsoil 10/40 Marine oil. Both contain additives for engines in use in corrosive environments. You may think you dont get any salt water in the engine but there is always salt spray that makes it into the intake. Even the air has salt that gets sucked into the crankcase.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information