Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Project 780 Engine with SBT Crank

Well Iíve decided to build one more 780 engine before summer arrives only this time, I will be using a crank rebuilt by SBT. Normally, I would use cranks that Iíve rebuilt myself. However, with all of the discussions regarding SBTs quality, I thought it would be interesting to do a build using one of their cranks and then document and share my findings. So hereís the plan. When the crank arrives I will be posting pics of how it was packaged so you can see if itís good enough to make it to you undamaged. After that, I will take good close up pics of the entire crank and give everyone my honest first impressions about how it looks. Good or bad. I will than do a run out check on the MAG and PTO ends, measure connecting rod side play on all rods, and post those numbers compared to factory specifications. Before I actually install the crank, I will take any additional pictures or answer anyoneís questions as best I can. After that, I will start building the engine.

Regarding the engine itself, itís going to be just a stock 780 that I will be installing in my 96 SLT. It will have Wiseco pistons, all new gaskets, rebuilt carbs, fuel pump, etc. Were talking just a good quality rebuild. This should give us a good baseline engine with no known problems.

I will be running this ski all summer and Iím going to update the thread as to how itís all going. Iím hoping this project will lend a little ďfact basedĒ information to the discussions regarding the quality of this particular SBT product.

Let the project begin!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    , Good deal. I have a machine shop out here in Iowa,where the owner did some R&D for Polaris back in the day at Spirit Lake. He has used SBT cranks and says he has checked each one when they come in and has not had a problem,...But it sounds like he has a working relationship with SBT and they knows he is picky with his builds and a repeat customer. So may have some bearing.

Interested in seeing your findings.

Never kick a terd on a Hot day! jorlando32's Avatar
    Perfect timming. I bought a SBT crank for my 780 about 8 months ago and its still in the orignal package. My gaskets come in this week and I was going to begin my build, but I may hold off a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by jorlando32 View Post
    Perfect timming. I bought a SBT crank for my 780 about 8 months ago and its still in the orignal package. My gaskets come in this week and I was going to begin my build, but I may hold off a little longer.

I'm expecting the crank will arrive next week. I'll get some pics up first, then do some measurements and post the results shortly thereafter.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jorlando32 View Post
    Why would you "hold off" ???

Either it's good or it is'nt. After sitting for 8 months worries me !!!

to Hayabusa to step up and give us some real world-educated feedback.

+1
    Good deal Gary

nice.

my 96 slt has been rode hard put up wet and not maintained all that well so i'm planning on tearing it down next fall for a rebuild. hopefully it will make it through the summer. appreciate your efforts will follow this with great interest.

+1
    I look forward to riding that slt. They say if you really want to test your product give it to the Marines! If they cant break it, then it cant be broken! HHMMMM where can we find a Marine? Looks like i'll be taking over from here Pops!!!!!!

Look forward to the build

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    I'm looking forward to seeing your results when it comes back to you.

Also wondering if those Wiseco pistons are old stock you had or recently purchased?

I've found that the newer runs are quite heavier than the old stock they use to sell. My guess is they are trying to thwart off the old cold seize problems they had.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I'm looking forward to seeing your results when it comes back to you.

Also wondering if those Wiseco pistons are old stock you had or recently purchased?

I've found that the newer runs are quite heavier than the old stock they use to sell. My guess is they are trying to thwart off the old cold seize problems they had.

This set of Wiseco piston are old stock purchased about a year ago. They're so old, the instruction sheet was yellowing from age. However, I didn't notice any difference in their weight, as compared to the newer Wiseco pistons, that I used in the other 780 engines, that I just built.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information