Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

impeller bending?

ive been looking into a new impeller or getting my stock 1 repitched but then looking at the post on prop bending i might have ago at doing it myself.... i want a bit more top speed... whats the most i could gain on a (99 xpl)completely stock engine with about 15 hrs on since rebuild?. what way and how much would it need to be bent? any help appriciated

+1
    if your ski is stock, i would add some power before you bend the prop. you will lose rpms and load up the motor if you bend it to much.

Just grit your teeth and get that wallet out

+1
    What RPMs are you pulling now?

I would consider buying a new plastic pump and prop together. Second best mod for the $!!! (F/A, jets and timing is #1)

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    Dave at IMPROS is the man when it comes to prop work! He has repitched and fixed up a few props for me. I highly recommend him. I e-mail he and he gets right back with me even if im not buying nothing from him. I have yet to hear back from Skat-trak on a ? i had on a skat pump and it's been over a week and a half!

95spi w\factory pipe/96xp Diggler's Avatar

impeller bending

I have talked with Glen from skat track before, because I had him make me a billet aluminum nose boot for one of my ski's and he gave me a little 101 on the prop bending technique which he made sound like not a big deal which was to me soo I ened up grittin my teath as well and just going up one more pitch by cash instead of a cresent wrench, and sold the other brand new one via craigs list. He said you can bend a little bit on the trailing edge out to increase top end, which yeah you could risk over loading it to much if you dont have the power.

its reving to 7200 on the gauge not sure how accurate they are. Cheers guys

+1
    for a stock ski you are on the rev limiter. you need to confirm your fuel mixture as you are probably lean. your ski should only turn 6900. running the mixture lean will add rpms but melt a piston.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by clownhands View Post
    ive been looking into a new impeller or getting my stock 1 repitched but then looking at the post on prop bending i might have ago at doing it myself.... i want a bit more top speed... whats the most i could gain on a (99 xpl)completely stock engine with about 15 hrs on since rebuild?. what way and how much would it need to be bent? any help appriciated
    I would not bend the prop yet. You could add too much pitch and load the motor up too much. Invest in a good aftermarket tach like a Pet-2100 or a TinyTach Commercial series so you can monitor the RPM's while tuning. You need to find out what your engine is doing now. If you are looking for more power, add a few things like flame arrestors and a carb rejet. Its important you monitor your RPM's and read your plugs often when you begin tuning your carbs and adding engine or driveline modifications. Do a compression test as well to get a baseline, you need these numbers to monitor the health of your engine as hours are accumulated.
    Inspect your wear ring and impeller and make sure you do not have too much clearance.
    Take everything one step at a time. You don't want to throw too many modifications on at one time.
    Lots of good people here to help, and good advice to assist.

low speed are 1 1/2 out and never touched high speed
    at all. i run pre mix .will be having 1st run out on ski next weekend so will double check the rpms. thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information