Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Prohibido usuario
    +1

What should I do with the dog?

I've got a 15 year old mixed breed Rottie. The problem is her left rear leg muscles have atrophied. She gets around fine except for bare floors where she slips sometimes. Traversing stairs take a while since she only has strength in one back leg. The problem is she leaks urine. I guess since the one side has no strength she can't keep her bladder controlled. Sometimes when she tries to get up she even has a little urine squirt out I guess from straining on the one leg. She has always been an inside dog. I know her days are numbered but she is still in good mental shape and not suffering. She may be deaf and have limited sight but her sense of smell is still good as she knows when there is food in the house. She's always eager to eat.

I am not home enough to care for her every day and every one else is complaining about having to always clean up after her. Would you consider having her euthanized? What should I do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17255_105401266152401_100000475835124_140297_7520845_n.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	175981  

+1
    having just put a 15 year old husky to sleep i can only say you'll know exactly when it's time no one can tell you except the dog. judging from the pic it's not time. it'll just take some extra care.

+1
    Looks okay to me, do you have a fenced yard? After it warms up, why not keep the dog outside... I can't for the life of me imagine why people would want a big dog running around inside their home anyway, but that's just me.

I'd consider staying the course for now. It sounds as if you companions time is catching up with her. As long as she seems happy & content, then put up with it. As stated above, your pet will let you know when it's her time to go by her mannerisms(when you clearly see she is suffering then you cross the bridge when you come to it) till then enjoy the time she has left.

Quote Originally Posted by PEVO View Post
    I'd consider staying the course for now. It sounds as if you companions time is catching up with her. As long as she seems happy & content, then put up with it. As stated above, your pet will let you know when it's her time to go by her mannerisms(when you clearly see she is suffering then you cross the bridge when you come to it) till then enjoy the time she has left.
    yea agreed... its amazing how us humans fall for such animals. My dad hated the dog when we first got her and soon fell in love. When my parents just recently got divorced my mom took the dog and my dad literally cried. My dad is 6 foot and 230 and i have never seen the guy cry. Its just one of those things that you only know when its time.
    The vet once told me when we put our cat down that its sometimes just the best thing. What we do with humans trying to keep them alive is a lot more inhumane then what we do to our animals. Its one of the hardest decisions ever. But she will let you know when its time.

My Min Pin is the same way, she'll pee every 30 mins. My solution was to put pampers on her and secure them with some tape so that she wont get them off. My dog is small thou only 15 lbs. Getting pampers on your girl could be challenging.
    but its an option.

Yea. to a non-pet owner it sounds crazy that you can get so attached to a pet. Especially when it's an inside dog that U care for more-so than any other family member in the house does. I lost my 2 yr. Shih tzu boy a year ago & i balled like a baby. This was my little boy...i gave him weekly baths, groomed him(cut his hair & nails) once a month, tended to his food etc. Heres a pic of him with my oldest daughter about a month before he suddenly died.

Name:	100_3122b.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	175995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3276.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	475.5 KB 
ID:	175996  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEVO View Post
    Yea. to a non-pet owner it sounds crazy that you can get so attached to a pet. Especially when it's an inside dog that U care for more-so than any other family member in the house does. I lost my 2 yr. Shih tzu boy a year ago & i balled like a baby.
    I can relate. We lost our dog Dexter this past Saturday to cancer. Freaking awful. Dex has been in our family since the kids were in diapers. Seeing the kids cry was brutal. We all cried!

Some pics of our boy. RIP Dexter!

Name:	dexter2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	587.5 KB 
ID:	175997   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dexter5months3.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	931.6 KB 
ID:	175998   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dexter ski.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	189.5 KB 
ID:	175999   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dexter.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	176000  

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Edit: I wrote this before reading Jerry's post.

Yeah I got a full blooded Rottie at the same time and had to put her to sleep 4 years ago after she got skin cancer. She got to the point where the only way she could stand up was if you picked her up. Diapers and outside are out of the question.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I can relate. We lost our dog Dexter this past Saturday to cancer. Freaking awful. Dex has been in our family since the kids were in diapers. Seeing the kids cry was brutal. We all cried!

Some pics of our boy. RIP Dexter!
    Damn, hate to hear that Jerry. I almost started to tear up the other day when I found out Daddy, Cesar Milan's Pit Bull died. I love watching The Dog Whisperer.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information