Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

I've had an R & D R2 in my cart but... MoTeC???

There has been a ton of information come out with the MoTeC and the info is starting to come out about the reflashes as well. The reflashes are very impressive.

However, I'm at a turning point--I am ready for engine control changes but have not installed any type of logging equipment. I should have had this equipment already and will not ride without it when the ice is off the water in a month or so.

I have a brand new LC-1 that I was going to use with my Powershot this year. That is UNTIL the R2 came out. Now, I'm looking at my Green Hulk shopping cart and I have:

R & D R2 @ $750

Riva FPR @ $474

PET 2100DX @ $235
    Total around $1,459
    And with the above, I still can't log anything except for some RPM info on the PET.

For $3,250 I can get into the basic MoTeC. Add the data cable for $322 (must be some cable) and I'm looking at only $2,113 more than I'm planning on spending for the reflash and necessary components ($3,572 total)--and then I can get what I've been trying to justify all along. I feel the data cable is the minimum extra I should get--is this correct?

AND I still have my stock ECU (could probably sell for some amount of money if I wanted).

AND I now have an adjustable ECU.

AND my stock ECU can be upgraded to infinity and beyond...
    I know injectors could be purchased but I don't plan on turning more than 8,400 right now.

I am not knocking the Riva ECU. I'm just much more impressed with the support from MoTeC and am really only looking at them. I could easily get overwhelmed with all the features the ECU has.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Craig

+1
    Craig, it's a tough choice. The best advice I can give you is look to the future. Are you going to be satisfied with just an ECU flash or will you always want to tinker with the ski and make it faster?

With Motec you will have room to grow. The possibilities are virtually endless. Any time you make a change to the ski, more boost, cams, etc. you will easily be able to adjust for it.

Another thing to consider about Motec is it will pretty much always hold it's value. You can take it off the ski and use it on another toy one day. Just get a loom and throw it on a Kawi or Seadoo if you ever decide to jump ship, etc. Want to sell the gold ECU all together when you get rid of your ski? You will see they still command a good price on the market.

Just some things to consider.

+1
    Isn't it another $700.00 for logging capabilities after the first 8 hours....

+1
    You can't get a MoTeC....because if you get one, I have to get one.

+1
    Thanks Jerry--that's just about what I'm thinking.

Gary--you will have one--as with me, the question is how long do you put the commitment off???

+1
    ....and I believe your going to need the RRFPR with the MoTeC anyway.

Cams, cams, cams, cams!!!
    LOL

Anyway....

If ya'll were in Tx I would let you ride my ski. If I let you use the ecu at this point maps would have to be changed for sho.

Just bite the bullet and get the ecu. That was the conclusion I CAMe to that I would have to do anyway. You will have the entire Summer of '10 to be happy you did.

Then in '11 you can go Turbo or much more boost!

Do it, I dare you

--- I guess to a large degree it's a personality thing. Are you happy with being slow
    Last edited by SHOBiz; 03-04-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Added arm twisting...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoeller View Post
    Isn't it another $700.00 for logging capabilities after the first 8 hours....
    The datalogging upgrade is $221
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1265

Quote Originally Posted by gmoeller View Post
    ....and I believe your going to need the RRFPR with the MoTeC anyway.

You are correct Gary, this is something else that needs to be taken into consideration.

+1
    How fast do you want to go? 82+ will be no issue with R2 and a B1 wheel (I guess C3 as well). Also, you will need a FPR with the Motec as well I believe. Also, you can buy a used PET tach.

I think you have to look at where you honestly see yourself going with this ski. If you want 15+ psi, over 8500 RPM and high 80's and the ability for variable setups the Motec seems like a good choice. The Motec also seems like a slippery slope. You will likely need a the whole enchilada pump setup vs (hopefully) just a liner and prop with the R2, valvetrain, etc. Motec = more money initially and long term (supporting mods) if you utilized the Motec like it should be.

Like Jerry said how far do you want to go with the ski?

It seems a Motec ski is around 1-2 mph faster than an equally equipped R2 ski. If you plan on staying at that speed then clearly the Motec is not worth it.

Would be really nice to see someone test an R2 with E1 wheel!! That would have to be 85+ based on what the B1 numbers are. That is seriously fast for a $750 reflash!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    How fast do you want to go? 82+ will be no issue with R2 and a B1 wheel (I guess C3 as well). Also, you will need a FPR with the Motec as well I believe. Also, you can buy a used PET tach.

I think you have to look at where you honestly see yourself going with this ski. If you want 15+ psi, over 8500 RPM and high 80's and the ability for variable setups the Motec seems like a good choice. The Motec also seems like a slippery slope. You will likely need a the whole enchilada pump setup vs (hopefully) just a liner and prop with the R2, valvetrain, etc. Motec = more money initially and long term (supporting mods) if you utilized the Motec like it should be.

Like Jerry said how far do you want to go with the ski?

It seems a Motec ski is around 1-2 mph faster than an equally equipped R2 ski. If you plan on staying at that speed then clearly the Motec is not worth it.

Would be really nice to see someone test an R2 with E1 wheel!! That would have to be 85+ based on what the B1 numbers are. That is seriously fast for a $750 reflash!!
    We are gonna try that this weekend. Our customer with a c1 setup has had a rrfpr and e1 sitting on the shelf for a couple months saving up for a motec. Then the reflash came and here we are.
    Motec is amazing and the possibilities are endless. However if 85mph is all you are shooting for then the r2 is plenty capable. Again it is a very tough choice. Or you could just have two.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information