Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Looking for info on late 90's Sea Doos

I'm not new to jetskis but I've never owned a Sea Doo. I rode a modified XP back in 1994 when my 94 Yamaha Waveraider was new. I was so impressed with the handling and "fun factor" of that 94 XP. The owner had done a lot of work to it and we raced often but my Raider would always stay just ahead of him. His XP had more overall fun factor, though. For what its worth, I GPSed the Raider at 53.2 mph last summer.

Okay, fast forward to today and I'm constantly looking for a good deal on jetskis. My brother-in-law wants a couple and I wouldn't mind adding a third to my stable. There looks to be some really good buys on used 1995 and up Sea Doos. I know the XPs handle well and go fast but what about the SPXs or GSXs? I see these for sale and don't know anything about them other than what I see on this Sea Doo Fuel Economy/Range/Top Speed chart: http://www.angelfire.com/oh/theboatguy/fueleconomy.html

I've found a 98 GSX Limited for $1400 that needs a little work. How about a running 96 XP and unknown 1999 or 2000 green and white SD that needs carb work on a double trailer for $1500? These seem like good prices to me but what do I know?

I'm not looking to purchase anything slower than my old Raider!! I don't think my brother-in-law would want anything slower either. I'll take any information that you can give me on any 1995-2001 Sea Doos but I'm not really looking for any 3-seat couches.

I'm just posting this for discussion so I can be a more informed potential buyer. Thanks !

Well, this is a hard question to answer, because there are many other differences as far as speed, handling, and stability are concerned. That chart you are referring to is a little optimistic on top speeds are concerned.

Since you said that you want more speed than the WaveRaider, then it's safe to say that you want a 787 or 951 engine. And you also don't want a 3 person ski, so that rules out the GTX.

So your options might fall into six categories of Sea Doo skis:

1. the X-4 787 hulls (96 XP, 97-99 SPX) These are all basically 56-57 MPH skis with excellent handling, ride one-up.
    2, the 97 XP, the only later gen XP hull (with suspension seat) with a 787 engine, same speed and one up riding as the X-4, but with different handling and wake jumping capability. (Also prone to taking on water in wake jumping...)
    3. the 98+ XPL with 951, basically a 60-61 MPH ski, a one-up ride, similar handling to the 97, most people's vote for "funnest" all-around 1-person SeaDoo.
    4. the 96-97 GSX models. These have the 787 engine, basically the same speed as the XP, but with a more stable hull, rides 2-up well, not as good of handling.
    5. the 98-99 GSXL models. These have the 951, basically the same top speed as the XPL, same handling as the 787 GSX models.
    6. the 2000-2001 RX models. Basically the revised version of the GSXL, about the same top speed, but bigger, heavier, a little more stable, not much changed in the handling.

From above, only you can decide how this fits into what you want. Is it just going to be you riding? Will you ride 2-up occasionally? Will you be jumping, carving, or just cruising? With the above info, you can start to feel out what is best for you.

BTW, there were no green and white 2 seater Sea Doos made in 99-00. Only the 3 seater GTI.
    Last edited by Sea Dood; 03-05-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: add green & white info

+1
    Sea Dood, thanks for that very informative reply!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    ...That chart you are referring to is a little optimistic on top speeds are concerned.
    I was wondering how accurate that chart was.

From above, only you can decide how this fits into what you want. Is it just going to be you riding? Will you ride 2-up occasionally? Will you be jumping, carving, or just cruising? With the above info, you can start to feel out what is best for you.
    Our riding style is almost exclusively 1-up riding. We like to carve up and go flat out WOT when the water conditions allow.

I guess all of us are too scared to be jumping. I almost killed myself jumping just a couple of wakes last summer ! Even my adult kids won't jump. None of them has much experience on jetskis, though.

It sounds like a 98+ XPL would be the cat's meow with the 98-99 GSXLs and X-4 hulls next. Lots of good info, Sea Dood and I now feel that I'm pointed in the right direction

95spi w\factory pipe/96xp Diggler's Avatar

looking for info on late 90's Seadoos

x4s or 96xp's 97-99 spx are a 'lean out' riding style as far as handling around bouys, the newer 97 up xpl hull is a 'lean in' riding style bolth handle way different when cornering. My first seadoo was an xpl and once I rode a friends x4 I had to off the 97, plus the 97 xp is underpowered for the heavy hull with the 787. Also I just picked up an hx for 500 off a buddy with a factory pipe. dream is to do like a x4 951 type project but put a 787 in the hx, ive seen a few done, has anyone here done it? also, theres to many variables with top end speed, considering how good the engines carbs are tuned, how worn is the motor, and how heavy of a rider and where they have the trim set,

+1
    Diggler, thanks for your comments as well.

I see plenty of X-4 hulls for sale these days. For a good running 96 XP, what would be considered a fair/good price ? I know lots of variable will affect the price but is $1300-1500 too much for one of these older skis these days?

X4s are 95-96 XP, 96-99 SPX and 97 SP. It's not the motor size, it's the trim tabs that makes it a X4.

I've got myself a 98 SPX, and love the thing. Keep in mind i'm 20 years old and take a whooping pretty decent, It's a great model for messing around on and jumping, it also has a decent top end imo.

Looking over your preferences though I would think a GSX would be perfect for your riding style. They are a bit more stable then a x4 hulled sea-doo, but still capable of extreme fun. Plus if you find one with the 951 engine it's going to move along great.

Keep in mind these are my preferences and I am by no means a sea-doo expert. Just hope you can find the best for you style.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrspud View Post
    X4s are 95-96 XP, 96-99 SPX and 97 SP. It's not the motor size, it's the trim tabs that makes it a X4.
    ????

You are answering a question that nobody asked??

The OP was only concerned about skis that go faster than 53 MPH. That rules out any 717 engined skis.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by greatlaker View Post
    I've got myself a 98 SPX, and love the thing. Keep in mind i'm 20 years old and take a whooping pretty decent, It's a great model for messing around on and jumping, it also has a decent top end imo.

Looking over your preferences though I would think a GSX would be perfect for your riding style. They are a bit more stable then a x4 hulled sea-doo, but still capable of extreme fun. Plus if you find one with the 951 engine it's going to move along great.

Keep in mind these are my preferences and I am by no means a sea-doo expert. Just hope you can find the best for you style.
    I've seen a supposedly good running 98 GSXL on craigslist for $1400 with a double trailer. I'm sure it would fit our needs just perfectly.

+1
    Yeah, like Sea Dood said, I'm not looking for anything that will be slower than my 53mph 1994 Waveraider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information