Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battery Question

Ok, so I just got a couple of project jet skis that did not come w/batteries. The first one we'll be working on is a '96 GTX-I've looked up the info for the battery & it says 12V 19AH-which I've found some part#'sYB16CLB (16CLB)-is that the correct battery or is there a better one for this jet ski-I just don't want to get the wrong battery...I was hoping to find a used battery just while we were working on them & when it's ready to go, then I'd go out & buy a new one(since they don't have that long of a warranty)...thanks

+1
    Don't buy another junky wet cell OEM style battery. The Odyssey PC625 will last you over 10 years and never leave you stranded with a sudden failure. There are several places that you can get them for less than $100.00. I have two of them that are 13 years old.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I recently bought 2 AGM batteries for about 70 each, from Oreilleys Auto Parts, they have a better warranty than you SLA (sealed lead acid) they come with one year free replacement, and no pro-rated, unlike your normal lead batteries. It also came fully charged, this are better batteries for deep cycles. I bought a lead acid battery from walmart and only lasted 5 months!!!!! it came with a 6 month warranty pro-rated, so I was SOL

+1
    Max is on to a good thing.

The part number is normally an ETX (or EXT) 16L. Or, they can just cross it over from a 16CLB (which is the right battery Group Size for those boats).

AGMs have a lot more power than the wet cell (the 16CLB) and last a lot longer. I have one that is over 4 years old (though it is starting to show its age) and I rarely got more than a year out of the wet cells even with the TLC I give them.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I kept all of my lead acid batteries on a trickle charger but just didnt last long,
    buy AGM and forget about it, its only about a 10 dollar difference from a lead acid,
    (at Oreilleys)

Ya, they do sound a lot better-I worked at Advance Auto & know how the warranty on batteries works-it kinda sucks on the smaller batteries....I'm having my friend who own's a mechanic shop see if he can't get the battery a little cheaper from O'Rielly's-lol-I'll let you know how it goes...Thanks for all the info...

I put a DEKA AGM in my '97 GTX last year, and it's definitely the strongest battery I've ever put in the ski. I expect it to last several years.

Also, I recommend that you install a battery disconnect switch to avoid the normal drain that these skis put on battteries when not in use.

If you've got a John Deere dealer close, they also carry AGM batteries the right size for about 70. Part number is SW16LBS.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

Arrow John Deere AGM battery SW16LBS

Quote Originally Posted by paulthepwner View Post
    If you've got a John Deere dealer close, they also carry AGM batteries the right size for about 70.

Part number is SW16LBS.
    Interesting
    John Deere battery chart (Page 21)

SW16LBS - Size 6 15/16" x 4" x 6 1/8" AGM

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Interesting
    John Deere battery chart (Page 21)

SW16LBS - Size 6 15/16" x 4" x 6 1/8" AGM
    I work for a dealer, not in parts, and the guys at the parts counter always give me funny looks when I walk up to them with the battery book with a part number circled and I say "Get me one of these".

Surprisingly, we have a lot of AGM and Spiral batteries. Just have to look.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information