Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oil in airbox area.

I just picked up a 2007 yamaha FX HO. When I took off the air box there was some oil sitting in the very bottom right hand corner. looks like about 2 oz worth and a few oil drips on some brackets. Is there supposed to be any oil in there or did it come from someone overfilling oil. the air filter s a little dirty but not oily at all? First post and new to waverunners. So be patient. Thanks

+1
    Welcome to the forum!

You say you have oil in the bottom R/H corner of the air box.....where are you referencing from? If you are sitting on the ski......there is an oil breather venting into the airbox on the back L/H corner.
    It is not uncommon to get a small amount of oil collecting here, although 2oz sounds rather alot. Have you checked the oil level?......can be tricky on these dry sump motors. Always check when hot (ski level).......halfway inbetween marks is good, 3/4's at the most.
    If you are taking a cold reading & oil is to the top mark, then it will be way over filled.

Best way to check the airfilter for contamination is to remove it & go for a quick ride.......see if there is any performance gain. It is not alway possible to visually see oil contamination on these filters.

its from being overfilled
    there should be no oil on the air filter
    to set the oil level ski needs to be level ,run on a hose for 10 min,after this the engine is @ opperating temp and can be checked .
    the oil should be 1/2 way between the hi/low mark
    someone prob set it @ the hi mark and thats why its blowing throught the case vent into the air box
    if you need to buy a air filter , i think there is a aftermarket that doesnt have the paper element to absorb the oil when overfilled
    best of luck ,
    jason

The oil comes from the breather, it does not necessarily be on your filter if you have the correct oil level. I have seen this on mine too.

Thanks everyone

Its to cold here to run yet on hose. I took cold reading and its at top. The place that did oil change sounded like they knew what they were doing told me all the steps they took but I think its overfull. I will remove a little and check on hose when it gets warmer. Whats the best aftermarket filter thats not so high priced? Riva one? Thanks again this is great site.

oil in air box

Hi,
    I have a 2006 Fx HO and also have a bit of oil in the air box. However, my engine does not go more than 9000rpm now. It worked fine last weekend and this weekend the power was down a bit. I opened the air box and there was a little bit of oil. I guess one or two tea spoons of oil.

I already cleaned the injection system with some injection system cleaner.

I am not sure where the oil is comming from but why is the engine not going more than 9000rpm now?

I saw some guys having similar problems.

Any suggestions

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mclosen View Post
    Hi,
    I have a 2006 Fx HO and also have a bit of oil in the air box. However, my engine does not go more than 9000rpm now. It worked fine last weekend and this weekend the power was down a bit. I opened the air box and there was a little bit of oil. I guess one or two tea spoons of oil.

I already cleaned the injection system with some injection system cleaner.

I am not sure where the oil is comming from but why is the engine not going more than 9000rpm now?

I saw some guys having similar problems.

Any suggestions

Thanks
    Check oil level (when hot), needs to below top mark. change plugs, if problem still there, take air filter out & go for a quick run, see if that makes any differance.

oil in airbox

Hi,
    thanks for the answer. I checked the oil level and it is OK. I also removed the air filter today and went for a quick ride. However, the engine still does not go more than 9000rpm other wise the engine runns perfect and acceleration is also good. I took the spark plugs out and it looks that they have never been changed even that the 10h inspection was done by a Yamaha dealer. The ski has about 36h on it, I guess it is time to change the spark plugs though.

Does anyboy knows why the engine does not go more than 9000rpm. When I took the ski out the first time this year everything was fine. One week later the engine does not go beyond 9000rpm anymore.

I appreciate any suggestion.
    Attached is a picture of the removed spark plugs.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unbenannt.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	184542  

+1
    maybe your fuel

the plugs , 2 look lean (prob OK) 1 looks like it is not firing , 1 looks A OK

kev

+1
    Yep......always change the plugs on these before going further. They can cause problems even if they look OK, due to the small diameter.

Long shot..............What is the top speed you are getting at 9000 rpm.......it may be possible that you are reading speed instead of rpm......9000rpm is next to 56 mph on the anologue dial.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information