Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Prohibido usuario
    +1

Am I missing anything? Car repair question

Problem is that the water seems to not be circulating. Radiator is not blocked. thermostat is working and just replaced. must be the water pump right? Water pump is not making any noise or leaking water. How could it be bad? Guy I bought the car from said he just had it replaced. Maybe he didn't and the fins are gone. The heater stopped working also due to the water flow issue. The radiator hoses are not getting hot even though the engine temp says 230f. Can you think of anything else that could cause this many issues? BTW this is the funkiest water pump I have ever seen and $60 to boot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    What car and engine size?

If you have an "air pocket" ,the coolant will not flow.. Some cars could be very difficult ,trying to get the air out of the cooling system.

The MOST mis diagnosed repair I've seen is "blown head gaskets". If it has a leaking head gasket,it pumps air into the cooling system and you will see the same outcome.

There is a super cool tool,that puts the cooling system under vacuum(good for checking for leaks) than you turn a valve and it fills the entire system. Brilliant !!!!!

I had my f150 with a 4.2l v6 do something like that. After replacing the water pump, and thermostat it turned out the radiator had a couple of inched of sludge in the bottom. It was plugged up so I had no coolant flow.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    What car and engine size?

If you have an "air pocket" ,the coolant will not flow.. Some cars could be very difficult ,trying to get the air out of the cooling system.

The MOST mis diagnosed repair I've seen is "blown head gaskets". If it has a leaking head gasket,it pumps air into the cooling system and you will see the same outcome.

There is a super cool tool,that puts the cooling system under vacuum(good for checking for leaks) than you turn a valve and it fills the entire system. Brilliant !!!!!
    4.0 liter northstar engine. Had a blown head gasket that I just fixed. I have drained and filled this cooling system 20 times no problem. The way it is designed leads me to believe there is no way for it to get any air trapped. It has a small hose at the highest point in the engine that goes to the pressurized coolant tank that I believe acts like a purge. Guessing I'm spending a $100 tomorrow to replace the pump and if it looks good when I get it need to know what else it could be while I got it tore down.

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by btldigger View Post
    I had my f150 with a 4.2l v6 do something like that. After replacing the water pump, and thermostat it turned out the radiator had a couple of inched of sludge in the bottom. It was plugged up so I had no coolant flow.
    Nope, got good flow. My first thought but unhooked both radiator hoses at the engine so they were still connected to the radiator. Pulled the loose end of the bottom hose above the radiator and took the garden hose to the top hose. Water flowed freely with no back pressure. This meant it was entering the top hose on the top right of the radiator and exiting the bottom left and then flowing up the lower hose, whose end was higher than the top of the radiator.

Also the radiator wouldn't explain the heater because it is fed directly from the water pump housing before the thermostat. It would take a lot of corrosion to destroy this pump but I guess we will find out.

+1
    I'm not that fimiliar with the North star, but try a "flush T" in the heater hose,it will let you clear any air and very least let you see if you have flow to the core.

+1
    im willing to bet 3 things. bad thermostat, you put the thermostat in upside down, or you have a air bubble

Prohibido usuario
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    im willing to bet 3 things. bad thermostat, you put the thermostat in upside down, or you have a air bubble
    Brand new, tested, thermostat. Impossible to install backwards as it has a long stem that wouldn't allow the thermo neck to be reinstalled and I'm doubting air bubble.

+1
    I'm guessing 1) bad thermostat ( I know it's new, but sometimes they're still bad ); 2) Air pocket in the system. You described a vent hose going from the highest point of the engine, is there a bolt/fitting that you can open to release an air bubble? 3) bad water pump. "Water pump" is a misleading term. It is really a "water impeller" and they do go bad without leaking. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Take out the thermostat and try to run it and see what happens. If no dice then try jacking the front of the car up as high as you can get it. Take off your radiator cap and run it, if there is an air bubble this will get rid of it. Someone taught me that trick a few years back, worked on my old turbo hondas. Goodluck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information