Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Oil on display Limp mode

kinda a good/bad day backed up my numbers but still cant go wide open prop is too small 3/4 throttle 8150 83.3 but then went into limp mode the word oil came up on the display. Shut the ski off check the oil level it was good fired up the ski again did another top end run same thing. if I just cruise it seems not to do it only wide open runs.

Any idea what the problem is? Oil switch? Hydrotoys said it might be this where is it?

+1
    Any code come up, or just oil? There are two oil sensors; one in front under TOPS valve, one in back in the block, under the intake manifold/TB area. Both can occasionally go bad, especially on 2004-2005 engines. You can ohm out the sensors once you pull them out too, specs are in the manual for whatever year you have. Double check the connections, make sure your front one is on, mounted correctly (wide fitting, but only one side is wired) and not mixed up with the TOPS sensor (I think) - there are two upfront and they look similar, but one is one wire, other is two wire.

Other things ... if a sensor is bad, it will do what you saw, but usually throw a code too. But if oil pressure is low, it will do it too ... and if oil pressure is too high, it will do this too. Best thing is to put an oil pressure gauge on it and check it at idle cold, idle warm, and 5000+ rpm. Depends on what year you have, and where you put the oil pressure gauge. Any other symptoms?? Is it spitting oil out at high rpms?
    Last edited by Vern; 03-07-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: added

+1
    No other simptions just the stupid limp mode thingy.

Thanks I will check the sensors its an 05 motor

+1
    Yeh had it happen 5 times in three motos this past weekend. Duff oil press sensor most likely. Change it out and giv it a oil change and all be ok im sure. R88

Got me a bag full of duff oil switches here..!!

A real pain they are.

Access from the side via 22mm plug socket and 4" extension, clip the connector off first with a long driver.

Check the seal on the connector is still there, and no water has got into the connector either. Dont use any waterproof grease in this one, the engine wams it up, and it causes odd Oil switch errors as the grease swills around in the contact area.

Never heard of over-pressure causing alarm though, the pressure relief should stop that side of it.

Been looking for a common problem, but not managed to get one apart from the switch yet..!!

Methinks they are squiffy. 1.8-2.2 bar, and no known equivalent to press.

Had 2 in 2 diff skis a while back, and they both went bad in a few hrs, so I tackled BRP about it... to press no response.

+1
    Ok so I may sound like an idiot (hell I do that all the time) where is the oil psi switch I need to change (picture)? What is the part number for the sensor I need to change? I want to get this done before I put the ski on the water again thanks in advance for the help.

+1
    Any help please??????? I have 2 skis doing this bolth are 05

What year is the ski?

+1

Banned User
    +1
    On the 05 the oil sensors is the front housing, and right under the intake manifold...both single wire connections.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information