Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

97 XP Wont Crank! !HELP!

My ski is doin exactly what this one is doing. ( This is not my video, hope its ok.)
    If I rotate the impeller a little it cranks but once u let go of the start button it does it again until you rotate it again. Anyone got any ideas?

+1
    check the ground wire from the block to the battery. they have been known to corrod and cause problems like this. also check for good connections but its most likely its your ground. worst case, your starter is getting weak.

Be sure your battery is in good shape and charged. Dont use jumper cables, they can sap too much power. But +1 on checking ground cable. I have a 96XP starter in good order if you need it. $40?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    damn I hope your ski is not like the one on the video.... that guy doesnt take care of that ski....just look at it.

I had a similar problem but mine was due to some high compression domes, I went with a bigger battery and it was also an AGM, not your average lead acid.

O also if I take out the plugs it turns over fine but once they go in it goes back to doin the same thing.
    Alot of ppl are saying that the bearings in the pump have gone bad and are causing a strain on the motor.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    that could also be it, my suggestion to you remove your pump and try again and compare.
    it could be a weak starter, or just the battery is not holding enough charge. I always have a voltmeter in hand or my smart charger, it tells me the voltage of the battery while being charged and how much its drawing while being cranked, I think it should not drop below 11 volts while cranking. if it does your battery is crap. or you have something straining the engine

+1
    My money is on a bad ground (assuming he has confirmed the battery is good). My RFI was doing the same thing a couple days ago and it turned out to be a bad ground connection at the motor. Start with the simplest and cheapest thing first.

a. Ground / connections
    b. Pull the pump
    c. Battery
    d. Starter

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    check the ground wire from the block to the battery. they have been known to corrod and cause problems like this. also check for good connections but its most likely its your ground. worst case, your starter is getting weak.
    +1

Try this, and then let us know. Although the pump bearings are a possibility, it is way down the list.

Troubleshooting is a step by step process. Let's just take the first, most likely, step.

To confirm the ground cable is bad: Take a jumper cable and connect it to a spark plug base. The other end to battery ground. If it turns over, the cable is bad.

Ok engine ground is great. Pulled the pump and found a beat up impeller and trashed wear ring. Goin to get a new battery tomorrow. Starting to hate this thing. lol

+1
    Glad to see you caught that before it's caused you problems when you put it in the water. Hopefully that's your starting problem as well. While you have the pump off, change the pump oil and inspect the bearrings for wear and damage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information