2002 GTX RFI will not accelerate...

I just bought a 2002 GTX RFI and it starts just fine on the trailer but when I try and it put it in the water it wouldn't start worth a damn. It would just turn over and over and then eventually just beep.

I'm thinking the key is part of the problem. I also pulled the battery out and recharged it, then checked to make sure the cables were tight. I got it to finally start and at full throttle it will barely go over idle speed. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I'm not an expert on RFI but sounds like you have clogged injectors, or you might have low compression,

did you test it before you bought it? i mean test it as in riding it on the water not the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    I'm not an expert on RFI but sounds like you have weak injectors, or you might have low compression,

did you test it before you bought it? i mean test it as in riding it on the water not the trailer.
    No, I bought it where there were no lakes around whatsoever. I just had to hook a hose up to it and run it that way.

I did pull the plugs just a minute ago and they were nasty, covered in oil and smelled like gas. Does sound like a fuel problem though, right?

+1
    your injectors could be clogged up. or your fuel pump can be weak or a fuel filter is dirty, if it was me I would call the guy that sold it to you and return it. just too much hassle specially with the fuel injected engines, if you paid for a running machine let that be it, dont try to be a mechanic, unless you have to.

here is a good site, to look at some diagrams and to troubleshoot your ski problems.

seadoomanuals.net i use it all the time its really helpfull.

do a compression test first!!!! this will save you time, remeber pull the plugs out and ground your sparkplug wires, and test it with the throttle wide open.

your injectors could be clogged up. or your fuel pump can be weak or a fuel filter is dirty, if it was me I would call the guy that sold it to you and return it. just too much hassle specially with the fuel injected engines, if you paid for a running machine let that be it, dont try to be a mechanic, unless you have to.

here is a good site, to look at some diagrams and to troubleshoot your ski problems.

seadoomanuals.net i use it all the time its really helpfull.

do a compression test first!!!! this will save you time, remeber pull the plugs out and ground your sparkplug wires, and test it with the throttle wide open.
    I'm going to have to try and be a mechanic. I actually bought it from someone and paid it off for them. Definitely going to be a hassle but I have to deal with it unfortunately. What kind of compression should it have?

+1
    around 130psi in each hole. if you have more than 10% difference in each cylinder than its not good, remember it takes at least 90psi for an engine JUST TO RUN but doesnt mean it will accelerate.

but if you have a wet cylinder full of liquid, either gas or oil it will give you a higher reading because its creating a better seal, so you should find a way to shut the fuel off,
    because as of now apparently your engine is flooded.

around 130psi in each hole. if you have more than 10% difference in each cylinder than its not good, remember it takes at least 90psi for an engine JUST TO RUN but doesnt mean it will accelerate.

but if you have a wet cylinder full of liquid, either gas or oil it will give you a higher reading because its creating a better seal, so you should find a way to shut the fuel off,
    because as of now apparently your engine is flooded.
    Ok, thank you very much for your help. I'll update as soon as I figure something out with it.

I just put in new plugs and took it out on the water this evening. Started right up and did 55mph on the speedo.

Haven't checked the compression or anything either.

Thread Information