Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

260X pump bearing float (spinning)

Drew,

How tight did the aft bearing outer race fit into the pump housing? I wonder if it was spinning? I had a close look at mine and the fit is poor into the housing, so poor in fact that when the shaft is rotated (very easily) the outer race can be made to spin. The bearing is still free and like new. The cap definately won't lock the outer race as it is not deep enough. I'm thinking about pulling the bearing and then sleeve retaining (loctite product) the outer race to the pump housing.

RT

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    Drew,

How tight did the aft bearing outer race fit into the pump housing? I wonder if it was spinning? I had a close look at mine and the fit is poor into the housing, so poor in fact that when the shaft is rotated (very easily) the outer race can be made to spin. The bearing is still free and like new. The cap definately won't lock the outer race as it is not deep enough. I'm thinking about pulling the bearing and then sleeve retaining (loctite product) the outer race to the pump housing.

RT
    Mine was tight enough that I had to press it out. Spinning in the housing was my first thought as well until I saw the discoloration on the shaft itself as well as burnt grease under the dust seals.

I just wanted to caution you because before I pressed the bearing out I thought as you did that everything was good. Everything spun free. If yours is spinning in the housing then it's something you'll want to look into for sure.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Mine was tight enough that I had to press it out. Spinning in the housing was my first thought as well until I saw the discoloration on the shaft itself as well as burnt grease under the dust seals.

I just wanted to caution you because before I pressed the bearing out I thought as you did that everything was good. Everything spun free. If yours is spinning in the housing then it's something you'll want to look into for sure.
    I believe he is talking about the rear bearing ,,,,,,,,the cone end , u know back of ski, stern bit.....

Yea-the stern end-aft as they say. "Ever been to sea Billy?! "-then you are supposed to bend over for the preverted sailor as my mate sometimes jokes!

To be serious I'm real concerned now so I'll be digging into it further. I expect it was machined too large from the factory but until I measure for a wear lip and check the unworn dimension of the bearing boss it is only speculation at this point. Not sure if this loose fit is a common occurance or typical for type?

RT

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    Yea-the stern end-aft as they say. "Ever been to sea Billy?! "-then you are supposed to bend over for the preverted sailor as my mate sometimes jokes!

To be serious I'm real concerned now so I'll be digging into it further. I expect it was machined too large from the factory but until I measure for a wear lip and check the unworn dimension of the bearing boss it is only speculation at this point. Not sure if this loose fit is a common occurance or typical for type?

RT
    my 250x rear bearing does spin the outter in the pump housing when assemled, So do both my brand new pumps on the shelf

Waz

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    I believe he is talking about the rear bearing ,,,,,,,,the cone end , u know back of ski, stern bit.....

when did we shift gears and start talking about rear bearings? Mine will spin too. I'm assuming the cone holds it when tightened down..

Thank you kindly gentlemen, there must be some reason for the loose fit then. While it goes against my better judgment I shall leave sleeping dogs lay based upon shared results. Sorry to divert from the rear bearing but this is the best post to find out and it paid off. Maybe it is loose for vibration damping or something as grease surrounds the outer race? The cone boss does not touch the bearing outer race as it is not tall enough, that was my first thought that it might have.
    RT

260X pump bearing float (spinning)

Just took my pump out to check the bearings and noticed that the outer race rotates about 1 turn for every 3-4 turns of the inner race. From reading other posts, most people have noticed that the outer race of the pump bearing also rotates.
    To me, the outer race of a bearing should be solidly pressed in or lock-tite used and the outer race should never spin. If the outer race spins this creates heat and also wears the pump housing.

Can anyone tell me for sure if I should install lock-tite or some other product to ensure the outer race doesn't turn when installing a new bearing. Based on all the posts saying that this is normal, I'm wondering if I'm missing somthing.

Bearing and housing are dead. Replace both

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GODOSIDIS View Post
    Bearing and housing are dead. Replace both
    Sorry but I say they are fine ( i assume u are talking about the rear outter )

I currently have 3 pumps on my bench and they ALL do the same and allow the rear outter to spin

2 of them are 20-40 hrs
    and they are identical to a BRAND new housing sitting beside the old ones

dont worry about it I say

but what would i know..........

the housing cant hold it still as its not a press fit on the rear bearing
    outter -housing

Waz

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information