+1

Mark Hahn and PWC Offshore news

Warner wins Havasu PWC enduro race

By DAVID BELL
    Today’s News-Herald
    Today's News-Herald
    Published Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:07 AM MST
    LAKE HAVASU CITY — The Craig Warner team finished just under 10 minutes ahead of a local favorite to take first place at the 6th annual APBA Mark Hahn Memorial Endurance Race on Lake Havasu Saturday.

David Bell/News-Herald Photo. Havasu’s Nicholas Ruis was in first place as he crossed the check point at Crazy Horse Beach, completing the first 10 mile lap of the 300 mile APBA Mark Hahn Memorial Endurance Race Saturday. Ruis suffered boat trouble and had to drop out half way through the race.

Warner finished the 300 miles personal watercraft race in a time of 4:33:31.179, just ahead of Havasu’s Tony Beck and teammate Mike Follmer. Beck and Follmer finished in 4:43:00.877.

Warner’s team also posted the fastest lap time, coming in at 8:14.539.

The Hahn Memorial is 300 miles of continuous racing, 30 10-mile laps around Lake Havasu from Windsor Bay north to the mouth of the lake and back. Drivers were allowed to switch and refuel any time they past the check point at Crazy Horse Beach, but they had to beach their craft 20 feet off the shoreline to pit.

Follmer and Beck’s finish improved on their 2009 performance, when they came in eighth. Another Havasu team — Niky Goudreau and Lark Schmitt — also improved their finish, moving up from 12th last year to eighth this year.

Other Havasu riders weren’t quite so lucky. Former IJSBA World Champion Nicholas Ruis started out the race in first and had a commanding lead before suffering boat troubles. Ruis finished just five laps and in 45th place, behind another former IJSBA World Champ, Havasu’s Chris MacClugage. “Big Mac” also had boat troubles, finishing just nine of the 30 laps.

Warner’s team and Follmer/Beck were the only racers to complete all 30 laps.

Last year’s Hahn winner, the team of Marker Gerner and Robert Carreon, finished 28 laps for a fourth place finish.

The race is named for Mark Hahn, a racer that promoted endurance racing for personal watercraft and died during a 2004 race.

“Everybody wants to win but we’re here for the memory of a racer,” said Follmer before the race. “Remember, there’s a guy up there watching and I know he’s impressed with the professionalism that’s here today.”

Brazilian and French television were on hand to cover the event, the first of the 2010 personal watercraft racing season.

You may contact the reporter at [email protected].
    Last edited by shawn alladio; 03-08-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: ad removed

+1
    Not to mention Pat Roque and Paul Pham who finished 3rd overall, 1st in Stock Class and 1st Sea-Doo award. They also finished 2nd overall last year.
    I'm just helping this reporter complete his coverage. Funny thing,,during the last 8-9 laps the announcer kept talking about 1st and 2nd when the real battle was between 3rd and 4th. They were swapping back and forth, in and out of the pits till the last lap. We were anxiously waiting for report on their battle, but was left quessing till post-race inspection before there was any confirmation. They also battled to the last lap for 1st overall last year when Mark overtook Pat whose supercharger just give out.
    I've got to say, it was a great event, but for all the other 40+ teams that participated this year, and sacraficed to do so, isn't it about time we get a little prime time?? Name recognition is good for the sport, but if we don't acknowledge those who are newsworthy, then they go nameless, and no new stars can ever evolve. How can we move ahead in this sport if all the media refers to are the same old icons? Not everyone can be World Champion, but there are plenty of other racers giving them a run.

I guess we can't win

Cheng:
    I realize to the racers, everything is about "them" as it should be and if you or anyone that participated feels slighted by Yellich or myself while announcing the race, we apologize. It seems that no matter what the race committee/promoter/annoncers do there is always someone that walks away with a "bad taste" and this year above all others I know how hard Mike, Jim, the entire DSM staff, Ken John (E-Time-it) and myself worked to make it a nearly flawless event and your lone post above was the only negative thing I have read or heard to date. I don't know if you realized that I personally interviewed Mark & Robert and Pat and Paul as well as 1st place in standup and the ironman in standup right after the race ended. Also at the awards, in front of their peers, Mark, Robert, Paul, Pat and all the top finishers in each class got to speak for as long as they wanted so no one was "left out". I personally feel everything went nearly perfect and again apologize if you or anyone else that participated might have felt slighted in any way.
    Hope to see you at the Dana Point to Avalon race in 3 weeks.
    Sincerely,

Ross Wallach, Race Director Mark Hahn Havasu Memorial 300
    RPM RACING ENTERPRISES

+1
    This is a subject that has always been an issue for those who are not in the spotlight with the media. The article written was from the perspective of a writer, who is not famliar with the sport. They are most likely looking at the lap chart results, and in all sports, the ones that count are the ones on the top. That is why a podium is always 1-5 placing.

It's like gambling. You try to get to the win, the payoff, but you have to pay into the system far more than you will ever cash out! LOL

But the GOOD NEWS! The internet! IF anyone wants to promote theirselves they can now tell their own story in thier own words with their own photos and sponsors. There is actually more leverage now for marketing and promotions than I have ever witnessed in 30 years of PWC competition!

So, I would encourage any and all competitors, regardless of thier placing or finish or affiliation to finsih up thier performance with an outline not only for thier friends, families and fans, but for thier sponsors.

Create your own blog: www.blogger.com
    Go to facebook and create your own fanpage: www.facebook.com
    Get a Twitter account: www.twitter.com
    Or buy your own domain name and promote yourself and your friends!

This is such a valuable thread because instead of waiting for someone to notice you, you can bypass the wait or frustration and 'tell it like it is'.

There is no sport that I have ever participated in that focuses on anyone except the leaders. Even in our PWC world and all its facets, offshore, endurance, closed course, obstacle, slalom, enduros, sprints, freestyle and free ride, the top dogs are in the spotlight.

Firsthand experience? Those top dogs didn't have it handed to them, they invested their own money, thier own time and so forth to get to that. They trained and put far more into a sport and for their efforts their results tell their story... however... things and times are changing.

Use the internet to support the sport, promote the sport, and to endorse your sponsors. Then come here and post your stories or to other forums and get out the good news! It will only benefit the entire community, and would be good to hear from others!

So get going! Action!

Great posts, thanks for sharing.

+1
    Thanks for your replies. I didn't mean to make this about me,, I didn't even race this year. I was wanting to draw attention to the unsung heroes, namely every racer and participant there. There is a story for every team and every rider there. I would like to see the media turn it's attention to some of the rising stars, and unheralded staples of our racing community. The guys that show up and put on a good show, and every once in a while achieve a big win or even a title. Their dedication and sacrafice need to be acknowledged. I guess that could be any of us. The problem is, it is almost none of us who get that attention. Sure, we could blog ourselves, the thing is,, that's not our thing!!

+1
    Honestly, its a good query.

I would take what you have written, clean it up a little and post it as a story of it's own. It's informative, just stick to the subject and the keys:
    Who
    What
    How
    When
    Where
    And you have a good news feed!

Or suggest that to friends!

Or perhaps someone else is reading this and will do their own!
    Why not?

Thread Information