2003 Polaris Virage I

Ive been trying to get this pwc going but havent had any luck. engine cranks but wont start. the fuel pump wont turn on. found that the brown wire has 12v like it should but never switches to ground to turn on the pump. originally i thought it was the emm so i replaced it but ski still has same problem. I also tried replacing the gauge it made no difference. Any ideas as to why emm wont turn on fuel pump?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

If you ground the Brown wire to the fuel pump, does the fuel pump run?
    Normally the EMM grounds the Brown wire to run the fuel pump.

When the MFI display is sleeping (5 minutes of zero activity), does cranking the engine 'wake up' the display?

Have you ohm checked the CPS (Crank position Sensor) that is located at the top of the flywheel housing?
    CPS must be under 200 ohms, typically measures about 140 ohms.

Have you ohm and AC volt tested the stator coils (12-pin EMM wire harness connector)?

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

+1
    do you have battery voltage at the red/white wire at the fuel pump connector? If so do a voltage drop test. Go from the red white at the connector to a engine ground. What do you have? If you have nothing them check the fuse....I take it you ride in salt water? If the fuse is blown and you pump a new one in and it does the same thing you might a a fuel pump that is locked up. You can manually power up the fuel pump buy supplying power to the two terminals that match up to the Red?White(battery+) and the brown wire(ground that goes to the emm pin # 40).

Need more information.

Jay

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by waltdiggity View Post
    Brown wire has a pos+ charge coming straight out of emm which is same problem i had with original emm.

I replaced emm and have the same problem. Is there anything else in the ski that would make the emm have a pos signal on the brown wire to the fuel pump. Or do i have another bad emm?
    I think you mis-understand how the fuel pump works.

The fuel pump Red/White wire is powered directly from the 12 volt battery power, through a 15 Amp fuse.

The EMM grounds the Brown wire to make the fuel pump run. When the EMM is not holding the Brown wire down to ground, you will measure 12 volts on the Brown wire.

That is why the test is to manually ground the Brown wire. If that makes the fuel pump run, then the fuel pump is probably OK.

The 12 volts from the fuel pump Brown wire goes into the EMM, not out of the EMM.

Also, please answer the previous questions.

the fuel pump works when i ground it. I know the pump is not the problem. What would cause the emm not to grnd the brwn to run the pump?I noticed the gauge is on all the time and when i turn yhe motor over after letting it sit it doesnt change anything on the gauge. I did check the cps its good i even swapped it with other virage i thats here. I was thinking about swapping emms today.

+1

Arrow Quick outline of how the Ficht injection system starts the engine

Quote Originally Posted by waltdiggity View Post
    the fuel pump works when i ground it. I know the pump is not the problem. What would cause the emm not to ground the brown to run the pump?

I noticed the gauge is on all the time and when i turn the motor over after letting it sit it doesn't change anything on the gauge.

I did check the cps its good i even swapped it with other Virage i that's here. I was thinking about swapping emms today.
    Quick outline of how the Ficht injection system starts;

You press the Start button.

The solenoid closes, the starter motor engages, and the engine begins rotating.

The EMM senses the rotation through the voltage from the stator AC coils that feed the EMM power section.

The EMM is also looking for the 'lanyard in place' signal from the lanyard switch.

The EMM internally 'wakes up', and then watches the CPS signal, and the voltage from the stator coils, and the DC voltage on the 45 volt Red/White injector+EMM power bus.

I think the EMM also watches for a minimum cranking RPM, but I don't recall what that is

Note: If the battery is weak, then the voltage while cranking will sag, and the engine will not start. Make sure the battery voltage stays above 10.6 volts, while the engine is cranking.

The signal from the TPS sensor must also be within normal range, and preferably at the correct nominal voltage for idle.

When the EMM wakes up, and the engine is cranking, it sends an RPM signal to the MFI display. The MFI display 'sleeps' with the clock visible. MFI sleep begins after five minutes of no activity.

The RPM signal wakes up the MFI. If the MFI was sleeping, then all LCD segments in the entire display 'light up', and the speedometer needle does a full sweep, then everything returns to normal.

With the engine cranking, good injector voltage (above 20 volts on Red/White), lanyard in place, and crank signal from the CPS, the EMM begins firing the injectors and spark coils. The EMM also grounds the Brown wire to the fuel pump, which should then deliver 20-30PSI of fuel pressure to the injectors.

The engine should now start. RPM will quickly rise to 1150RPM idle. Injector voltage should jump up to between 40-45 volts, and become fairly stable.

Battery charge voltage should also rise to about 14.x volts.

If the speedometer is not 'waking up' and making that full sweep when you crank the engine, that implies that the EMM is also not 'waking up'. The Start button does not directly wake the EMM. The EMM needs to see the engine is cranking, and the other parameters are within range, before it will power up the fuel pump and start the engine.

Make very sure the battery voltage is actually staying above 10.6 volts while cranking.

Check the stator coils for opens, shorts to ground, or incorrect resistance.

If the stator coils measure OK for resistance (and no shorts to ground), then measure the AC voltage from each coil pair with the engine cranking.

Sometimes a bad TPS sensor can cause the engine to not start. Unplug the TPS, and attempt to start the engine. If it starts, replace the TPS.

Note: Sometimes the flywheel magnets become loose from the flywheel. When that happens, the stator coils will have reduced voltage output, and can be damaged by the magnet debris flying around inside the housing.

Note: If your model has a single button for Start and Stop (Start/Stop button), then you also have a LR module that controls the starter solenoid.

If the LR module fails, you can have unusual symtoms like cranking without the lanyard, and no cranking with the lanyard in place.

I installed emm from other unit everthing is working fine now. I was still skeptical about receiving a bad emm i put it back in the unit and its now working fine. I would have to think that somewhere in the emm connectors must be a dirty connection i cleaned all pins and connectors again. I hope it takes care of the problem.Thanks k447

+1
    Glad to hear it is now running.

Check the grounds carefully, both at the engine block, and at the EMM.

Thread Information