Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first PWC! Making it mine.

Pulled the plug and got my first PWC a couple days ago.
    It's a 2006 Seadoo GTX Wake (155hp) with a Triton LX WCI trailer.

I'm not planning to pull any tubes or skis or do crazy tricks, but use the PWC as a nimble fishing platform (salt and fresh water) and for exploring some more spots of my favorite boating area i could never go with the 28' big boat.

Thinking of doing some mods and would like some input as to their value and some install pointers.

1. adding and installing a small chartplotter/FF (likely a lowrance HDS-5)
    - any of you guys mount the xducer in-hull rather than a transom mount? if so, where's the best spot and any issues of running the wires from the back to the console area?
    - thinking of mounting the head unit via Ram mount to the forward lid/cowling, is the FG strong enough?
    - wires to be run under and between cowling and black plastic strengthening piece, along side helm/console wire bundle, and down to the engine area and battery.

2. adding a bilge pump
    - where's the best spot and best spot to put the discharge end?

3. changing the battery to a larger AGM battery
    - this looks difficult as the battery mount looks specific to the OEM battery

4. adding some kind of box or cooler on the back with rod holders. i've seen many different kinds, but has anyone made a custom FG cooler with "tunnel" to straddle the rear hump behind the seat? that would be perfect!

5. change the wear ring to a stainless unit
    - what's the average life of a wear ring? are the stainless rings worth it?

6. some kind of collapsible "tent-pole" to hold up the front hatch. Stupid design and poorly engineered. I've read here that this is a very common problem

7. lastly, for the trailer, thinking of adding a Fulton fold-a-way tongue bracket to help with storage space. anyone install one of these on an aluminum trailer that has an aluminum tongue bar?

thx.

go back to the main forum and scroll down to misc. watercraft info. -- then to PWC fishing -- they will beable to help you with their experiences

+1

Good luck with your build, but MAKE sure you do HISTORY check on a tuner for your ski, there are some bad people out there. If you order a part from this guy, and if your lucky you'll see that part in a year or so, or maybe straight up nothing..........

That's a great ski for what you plan to use it for. The trailer is a great one too. I want your trailer! LOL Seriously, you'll have a great time and you made a good choice.

Homebrew, i see that you have a SS wear ring, does it make any performance difference or just last much longer?

i'm hearing all kinds of #'s for expected operating hours for a stock wear ring (anything from 20 hours to 100+ hours between changes). If under normal use a wear ring is closer to the 20 hour mark, i'd seriously consider the SS option as i think that goes by just too fast.

+1
    Welcome to the forum.
    Find the PWC fishing section.
    It is under misc.

Here is good place to put bilige discharge on your ski.

Good luck!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2024.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	309.1 KB 
ID:	177127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2004.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	177128  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoofishr View Post
    Homebrew, i see that you have a SS wear ring, does it make any performance difference or just last much longer?

i'm hearing all kinds of #'s for expected operating hours for a stock wear ring (anything from 20 hours to 100+ hours between changes). If under normal use a wear ring is closer to the 20 hour mark, i'd seriously consider the SS option as i think that goes by just too fast.

For what you are setting up for stick with the plastic linear.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    For what you are setting up for stick with the plastic linear.
    thx skoepp for the info on pump, especially for the pics!
    why choose plastic over SS on the liner?

If you ain't gonna thrash too much keep it simple and stay with a plastic liner. On my wife's ski(08 wake 215) we have over 100 hrs on it with the original liner still in good nick. It has done many social rides off shore and quite a few quick blasts up the river near home, even the odd race meet with our social club.

I have seen a few guys with the fishing setup on their skis and some look pretty neat, just goes to show what a bit of thought into the project can do in the long run for you. Good luck with it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information