HELP! Anyone ever seen a 4tec head like this before? Different valve guide/seal setup

I got this head a while back, and have been kinda stumped on what to do with it. It's got a completely different valve guide type, and correspindng valve stem seal setup that I've seen before. It's off of a 2005 155 NA motor, and the springs are red/green color code. See it has a 2 peice spring base/valve seal as oppose to the one peice valve seal/spring base we are familiar with. It also has a different valve guide type, to accomodate the diffferent seal type, so I can just swap the 1 peice setups in. Just curious if anyone has seen/used a head like this before, and how they used it, and if there were any issues, thanks!

Below are some comparison pictures. The 4-tec valve guide & 1 piece stem seal/spring base we are all familiar with is on the left. The mystery setup from the 05 155hp head that uses different valve guides, and the 2 peice seperate valve stem seal & spring base is on the right. Below that is a comparison pic of the 2 seal/base setups.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0784.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	582.3 KB 
ID:	176901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0785.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	576.4 KB 
ID:	176904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1DSCN0785.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	509.7 KB 
ID:	176905  

The green seals came from old engines
    Look @ the stamp on the engine head you will find 02 or maybe 03

Whata you know... Sure did, manufacture date stamp "01" in comparison, the other head is date stamped "04". It Came from an unopened 05 155hp motor is the odd part though... Maybe they had some old stock, they decided to use.

OK, now that its ID'd my next question is, can I use it without changing the valve guides?

FYI: There's one on ebay right now, ends in about an hour, so if your thinking of bidding on it, you may want to... um... not.

NO you cant

As I know they where design for low boost engines
    If it was my engine I'll update the seals + guides
    NEVER run old design

I run ~25 PSI on my honda using the exact same valve seal setup, so I'm not worried about that. It's how am I going to use known 215 valve springs, or a riva kit with a setup like that that with no spring bases. I was thinking I could measure th thinkness of the 1 part seal/seat and use Rotax racing spring spacers to duplicate the spring base part of the 1 part seal. I already have a complete set of the correct valve guides, but having them replaced is going to cost $500+ I'm better off just getting a different head if I have to replace the guides.

Quote Originally Posted by boostaholic View Post
    I run ~25 PSI on my honda using the exact same valve seal setup, so I'm not worried about that. It's how am I going to use known 215 valve springs, or a riva kit with a setup like that that with no spring bases. I was thinking I could measure th thinkness of the 1 part seal/seat and use Rotax racing spring spacers to duplicate the spring base part of the 1 part seal. I already have a complete set of the correct valve guides, but having them replaced is going to cost $500+ I'm better off just getting a different head if I have to replace the guides.
    500$
    Why??
    you need only 12 guide + seals

+1
    I posted on this a while back. still working just fine...

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ight=4tec+head

Thread Information