2008 ultra 250x Help

Hi I am thinking of buying a 2008 kawasaki ultra 250x. Is this a good ski? Have there been any major problems? If I do buy is there anything I should do before riding? Like upgrades etc..The ski is new,never seen the water.Thanks.

moosemaster,

I bought a leftover (brandnew) 08 ultra 250x back last may. It was such a deal over what the new ones were (I got mine for 8600.00). I would like to have a 2010 but if you get the 08 at a great price I would go for it, that is if you plan to keep it for a while. I like ours, it runs fast enough for me and the wife and so far we have had zero issues. As for upgrades, I just don't see spending lots of cash for what will be maybe 5mph tops, just not worth it when some of the yamahas and seadoos are faster stock anyway but I did change the grips, LOL. There will always be someone out there faster, found that out during my sport bike days years ago. These skis are awesome though, I especially like the amount of storage up front. anyway, hope the info helps. Mike

+1
    Agree to the above.

Great ski. I bought a left over 07' last year and put 55 hours on it and no problems. Several of the naysayers here will complain about "gas in the oil" but is not really an issue. I have no problems. Getting a 4 year extended warranty for about $650 is not a bad idea.
    The mid $8's should be a good price for a new 08'. 09's are probably high $9's or close to $10k. 10' probably mid $10's I'm guessing and nothing changed on it for this year vs. the 09'.

And as mentioned great storage and it actually isn't too bad on fuel if you stay out of the boost.

Thanks thats all I needed, Im off to grab this deal!

Gas in Oil

Hey DMK,
    Why are we naysayers if we have the "oil in gas" problem?
    I have my 4th KAW '08 250 stock with 15 hours on it. Bought it end of '08. I have changed the oil at 5 and 10 hours both times with fuel in the oil. Still have that problem today. Im a Kawasaki man but I am not imagining this issue. I would like to find a good fix, factory doesent have one. Glad dmk does not have this problem but I do, so sniff that stick regularly moosemaster.

06 FX-15
    08 ultra 250

Quote Originally Posted by epsco1 View Post
    fuel in the oil. sniff that stick regularly
    Doesn't all "used" engine oil, whether ski or car, smell somewhat like gasloline in it?

The point is, how much gas in oil (by %) is the issue.

BTW, shouldn't more scientific method be used to determine the level of GIO, like viscosity check or oil analysis (costs only $10/test) instead of sniffing?

I have had many engines, none smell like this one! Fuel in the oil has a smell of fuel not used oil. Ive worked on motors for 30 years, and I know the difference. Why do people get so bent because I and a few people have a problem we are trying to repair and tell others to check out for. I didnt say anything bad about your family, I just said Kaw has a problem with the 08 Ultra. I will have it analized this time and post in a week I am now curious what % there is in 4 or 5 hours. What would you say it should be? I think 0% Then I'll continue with trying to fix the issue.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by epsco1 View Post
    I have had many engines, none smell like this one! Fuel in the oil has a smell of fuel not used oil. Ive worked on motors for 30 years, and I know the difference. Why do people get so bent because I and a few people have a problem we are trying to repair and tell others to check out for. I didnt say anything bad about your family, I just said Kaw has a problem with the 08 Ultra. I will have it analized this time and post in a week I am now curious what % there is in 4 or 5 hours. What would you say it should be? I think 0% Then I'll continue with trying to fix the issue.
    Up to 2% in autos is generally accepted I believe. I'm guessing a bit higher in a non auto application. I'll get mine tested this summer just to be sure.

I forget reading here what people have said Kawi's acceptable level is? I do recall statements that only a remedy would be done under a "failure" however that is defined.
    There's lots posted on this subject over the past 2.5 years so you can read up some more.

Quote Originally Posted by moosemaster View Post
    Hi I am thinking of buying a 2008 kawasaki ultra 250x. Is this a good ski? There really aren't any bad skis - it really depends on how you plan to use the ski and what sort of conditions you are going to be riding in. Are you planning for it to be a rec ski or a racing ski? Do you plan to ride/race in in rough/offshore conditions or flat/lake conditions?. I think both the 250x/260x are amazing skis for riding/racing in rough conditions (the best). If you plan to race in rough/offshore conditions I would save up and buy a 260x. For flat conditions or buoy course/drag racing I think the FZR/S or RXP/-X would be a better option amongst new skis - that is where they excel.

Have there been any major problems? Some people have experienced a few problems - the pump bearings tend to go bad and need to be replaced (if the pump fails serious engine damage can occur). Also there is the infamous GIO problem that the others above are talking about - I haven't had it. That being said other skis have problems too - like riders being ejected off of FZR/S skis due to pump stuffing (not to mention the problems that SeaDoo has had over the years). The only problem I have had is rust in the engine compartment - that is my fault for not washing it out after riding in salty conditions though...

If I do buy is there anything I should do before riding? IMO don't modify it until you break it in - I'd recommend the manual's break-in procedure but some recommend breaking it in hard - that is up to your discretion.

Like upgrades etc..The ski is new,never seen the water.Thanks. No problem - enjoy your ski.
    Answers in blue.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Up to 2% in autos is generally accepted I believe. I'm guessing a bit higher in a non auto application. I'll get mine tested this summer just to be sure.
    If you read the GIO roll-call section you will see that some are complaining of more gas than oil - I'd say that is more than "2% or a bit higher" .

Thread Information