Towing a side by side with a Jeep

I've been using my Avalanche, awesome tow vehicle btw, for towing but some AssHat just broke my billet gas cap cover off trying to steal it and bent the friking fender in the process--
    I have a Jeep wrangler sitting in the driveway that I only use for playing in the mud or desert trips (its not a beater but not even close to pristine so I don't care as much about it getting messed up).
    I'm gettin tired of cleaning the crap outa my nice truck whenever I launch in salt + I worry about leaving it parked unattended.
    I was thinking I should be able to tow it with no problems but the receiver bumper/rack I'm looking at is about $800.00 ! I just want to see if anyone has done this and if there are any wandering issues from the Jeep being so short and kind of light (as opposed to my big truck) before I go spend all that extra cash.
    As far a being capable, the jeep can take it. Its modded to hell with bigger diffs/lockers front/rear,gears, suspension, swampers etc..., 4.0 motor + more power etc...
    The Skis are both on the heavy side FZS and VX Cruiser with a single axle side by side.

I tow with my wrangler all the time, its a 01 Sahara, not quite as built as yours, only has 2" of lift and 31 MTs. But the 4.0 is plenty strong. Mines a singles ski trailer but i have towed a enclosed 6x12 uhaul trailer, http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...t=trailer-6x12, all the way from Florida to Connecticut with 2 sport bikes in the back without too much of a problem. Every once in a while i could feel it, since it was bigger and longer then my jeep, but it wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it was going to be. I dont think you will have too much of a problem with 2 skis, considering the Uhaul trailer alone weighs almost 2k lbs. When i did that i had a hitch attached to the frame. But now i have an LOD rear bumper, http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/prod...cat=267&page=1, and this works fine for towing my ski.

+1
    I have a TJ as my daily driver. 4.88 gears on 33s with the 4.0L. I tow my single ski as well as a heavily loaded down (at times) heavy 5x8 Utility trailer. We have LOTS of big hills here in WV and both tow without any problems. I havent tried to pull my brothers double ski trailer yet, but I am sure it would be fine. His trailer is wide and short. I've towed the same very heavy trailer utility trailer from NM to WV without any problems.

You dont have to drop alot of money on good jeep bumper either, you can get some good quality, smaller shop fabbed for a good price. Unless, of course, you were going to upgrade anyway.

I did have a hidden hitch, but ditched it for an Olympic brand A/T Slider rear bumper with 2" receiver. It's 1.25" tubing rather than smittybuilts nasty 2" tubing. Got it on ebay for under $100 a few years back.

I used to tow about 20 miles each way with my CJ, no problem.
    It did have about two feet of overhang on each side.

used to tow a 22' bayliner with my 05 rubicon with 33's and a lift.

Not for long distance trips, just for a few miles.

Smile

Awesome!
    Thanks for all the replies! I just ordered a killer gas can/tire rack bumper with a hitch. Was about 900 so was a little worried.
    And yeah, I know its a bit pricey but I have an ARB on the front for my winch like this pic... so wanted to match it.. I just wish my jeep was as clean as that lol mines a little beat up....

Update:
    Thanks! I cancelled the other and just ordered the LOD Extreme with jerrycan and rack... Good deal too.. OK back to the Waverunners.. Sorry to go on about the Jeeps

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Looped View Post
    I've been using my Avalanche, awesome tow vehicle btw, for towing but some AssHat just broke my billet gas cap cover off trying to steal it and bent the friking fender in the process--
    I have a Jeep wrangler sitting in the driveway that I only use for playing in the mud or desert trips (its not a beater but not even close to pristine so I don't care as much about it getting messed up).
    I'm gettin tired of cleaning the crap outa my nice truck whenever I launch in salt + I worry about leaving it parked unattended.
    I was thinking I should be able to tow it with no problems but the receiver bumper/rack I'm looking at is about $800.00 ! I just want to see if anyone has done this and if there are any wandering issues from the Jeep being so short and kind of light (as opposed to my big truck) before I go spend all that extra cash.
    As far a being capable, the jeep can take it. Its modded to hell with bigger diffs/lockers front/rear,gears, suspension, swampers etc..., 4.0 motor + more power etc...
    The Skis are both on the heavy side FZS and VX Cruiser with a single axle side by side.

i have a 01 Grand Cherokee 4.0 bone stock. It tows my 2004 19ft Chaparel with no problems. I also have a 99 Grand Cherokee 4.7v8 which is only 30hp more than the 4.0 and you can't really tell im towing....

+1
    I tow a Yamaha SX230 (~5000 lbs worth of boat, trailer, fuel and equipment) with a Cherokee Sport 4.0. Can't get much past 50mph on the highway, but otherwise a good tow vehicle. I did need to upgrade to HD leaf springs.

Thread Information