Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How will I know if I need a impeller?

Hello,

In the next two months I will be installing the riva filter, intake upgrade, r&d grate and vx rideplate on my 09 fzr. How will I know if i will need a impeller?

+1
    Because you'll be all over the limiter. I have essentially those same mods and am using a 13/24 Skat Swirl. Perfect with the setup, keeps me just under the limiter most of the time. You can milk a little more out of the VX plate if you shim it front and back w/ .07 washers Type 316 SS Large-Diameter Flat Washer 3/8" Screw Size

As an alternative, you should also be able to lower the rpms by bending the stock prop. Try searching posts for info.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdman View Post
    Hello,

In the next two months I will be installing the riva filter, intake upgrade, r&d grate and vx rideplate on my 09 fzr. How will I know if i will need a impeller?
    It started with my speedo climbing and ski accelerating hard until at the rev limmiter--at that point the accleration just stopped as the engine was not allowed to go any faster.

With more mods, I started getting a miss at WOT that I could make go away by letting off the throttle a bit. At first I didn't know what this miss was (kind of a popping noise that I had to listen closely to hear while at speed). I even changed my plugs thinking I had a bad one.

I will be off the limiter this year, though.

When doing these mods does it really matter if I do them all at once? I'm pretty tight with my budget but I figured if I was taking off the ride plate I might as well do the impeller.

+1
    I've done mine whenever I had the money. Not too many do all the mods at once. Drawback of doing them over time is re-pitching or buying new props.

Whenever you increase power with a mod, you will more than likely need more prop.

This will be the only mods. Since I can't get to my ski for another two months I was wondering if I should go ahead and get a prop. The question is which one?

+1
    This will be the only mods. Since I can't get to my ski for another two months I was wondering if I should go ahead and get a prop. The question is which one?
    This should help you a lot. I decided to get the 13/22R

Hello,

I'm looking at doing the same thing soon with my FZS...I'm thinking of making it easy on myself and just going with the Riva kit straight through using the Solas 13/22R and call it a day.But there is so much info on this site it blows me away...lots of good trial and error gouge too. If you haven't checked it out yet, look at some of the build up threads for our FZ's...pretty informative,lots of ideas.

The problem is there is so much information it can be a little confusing. It amazes me how detailed this information is. I think the impeller in the riva kit will be the way to go for me, even though I have the r&d intake grate.

+1
    I think the impeller in the riva kit will be the way to go for me, even though I have the r&d intake grate.
    That impeller will work well with that level of modifications regardless of which grate you have. The grate has nothing to do with which impeller you go with. It has more to do with power output of your engine.

To answer your original question "how will I know if I need a impeller"

You need an impeller any time you increase the power output of your engine.
    The more power it makes the more pitch you go with.

Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information