Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 Seadoo GTI 657 Aftermaket engine parts?

I have picked up an old locked up 96 Seadoo GTI. What is very odd to me is that The manual is calling for a 717 engine in this ski. Why someone would go though all the trouble of swapping over electircal/fuel systems to install a smaller engine is beyond me?

My question is, Is there an aftemaket company that sells performance parts for the 657 engines? Maybe a Head, Intake manifold, pipe?

Im going to purchase a new engine, But I do not think any of the electronics that are on the 657 will swap over? Anyone done this before?
    Thanks,
    Chris

ya but why? these 3 seat hulls don't respond to well to more power. Still top out at 43-47 mph

a 650 or 650x will have 2 hoses routing off the top of the head

the 717 will have 3

This is the weird part. The Cooling input line coming from the pump is hooked up. The Cooling line coming out of the head is plugged?? where does the water go out if this line is plugged? im trying to figure out what exatly is going on here??

get the 1995 manual

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62613

that little pig tail is for flushing

+1
    The 1996 GTI is a 717 engine, not a 657 engine. Are you saying your yellow, 1996 GTI has a 657 engine?

Yes thats Exatly what Im saying. It confuses me also. I have a Yellow- 1996 GTI With a 687 SBT engine installed. Has 2 nipples on the head. One has the main cooling imput line from the pump, the other has a 6" piece of hose hooked to it with a bolt plugging the other end?? Shouldnt that hose be going out allowing water to properly flow through the head to cool it? And why woud someone go thorugh all the trouble of switching over Electronics and carbs to put a smaller engine in somthing??? Im clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by ktyamaha36 View Post
    And why woud someone go thorugh all the trouble of switching over Electronics and carbs to put a smaller engine in somthing??? Im clueless.
    If it died, it could have been all the person had at the time? Or pulled it and kept it than sold the small one to you? hard to say without talking to the guy

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the electronics work the same for either motor. I think that it changes the timing curve a bit but not enough to notice. sounds like the guy realized this and dropped in a cheap motor to dump the ski.

So Instead of trying to hop up a little 657 engine, Are you saying that If I Put a 717 back in the ski like it was designed to have, The stator & Electronics will bolt up and run ok? Bassacially the only thing I will have to get is the correct Intake manifold,rotary valve, and Carb? I would MUCH rather do that if it will work out ok.

The other question would be the cooling lines. Being that the 717 has one coming off the rear of the head, I would need to figure out how to have that all hooked up correctly.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ktyamaha36 View Post
    So Instead of trying to hop up a little 657 engine, Are you saying that If I Put a 717 back in the ski like it was designed to have, The stator & Electronics will bolt up and run ok? Bassacially the only thing I will have to get is the correct Intake manifold,rotary valve, and Carb? I would MUCH rather do that if it will work out ok.

you will need the stator from a 717 but yes the electronics should work. I bet that the carbs are off a 717 if he went the cheap route like it sounds. you will have to find a rotary valve and intake manifold tho. If you go the 717 route look for a Factory Pipe. They really wake up that motor.

The other question would be the cooling lines. Being that the 717 has one coming off the rear of the head, I would need to figure out how to have that all hooked up correctly.
    easy. one goes to the pipe off the front. the other two off the back are water in and water out.
    hope this helps. just make sure that the carbs and electronics are 717 parts. besides if you get the 717 you will probly have to rejet the carbs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information