Fair price for steering cable lube job?

Just took my newly acquired 2005 RXP out on the lake today...it has been sitting in the previous owner's garage since May '09. I noticed when I purchased it that the steering was very stiff on it, so knew the cable needed to be lubed. Took it out on the lake today for a quick hour ride to check everything out, thinking perhaps the steering would loosen at least a little...but it was a white-knuckle ride all through the turns doing 68MPH...because the steering is just super stiff.

I am about 6hrs away from my workshop with all of my tools, otherwise I would use some of the guides here on lubing the steering cable...but I am sort of forced to take it to the SeaDoo dealership. I made an appointment with them to bring it in this week, the service rep couldn't give me a rough estimate on how much the job would cost, but did tell me they charge $90/hr for labor...

So any clue how much this job should cost for the dealer to perform...how many "hours" is it going to take them to lube a cable...

Thanks

+1
    Let some WD-40 drip on the cable and some of it will get into the inside of the cable by working it back and fourth. Last one I did had it coming out the other end in 5 in or so.

+1
    wores case buy a cable and install it yourself. sure theres some members that can tell you what tools youll need then buy some cheaps at the hardware store or something, either way itll be cheaper then going to the dealer.

Well I ended up towing it to the dealer this morning, literally 1 hour before an interview....lol, I even changed into my suit in their bathroom

Stopped back by afterward and the tech said that the cable needs to be replaced. Said that there is oxidation and/or rust inside the cable, and that lubing it isn't really a feasible option. So the cable is $150 (which is about right..I poked around online), plus the labor to install. The install doesn't really look too hard...just the fishing/routing of the cable. I'm just going to have them do it.

+1
    Buy the cable from the online store, and when you take your suit off, replace the cable..don't get your suit dirty. Not a big deal and will save you money.

cyclepartsnation.com has the best prices ive found on OEM seadoo parts.

Jerry also has good prices and excellent customer service

There are also TONS of RXPs being parted out. The cable is not something that people need when doing a conversion so they are ALL over. I sold mine for $50.

It is a simple job. Do not go to the dealer.

Good luck.

+1
    I have a cable if your interested.
    You can have it for 60% off retail plus shipping.

Well if it's not really a big deal to put in...then I will just do it myself. Going to call the dealer tomorrow when they open and tell them I am going to come pick up my RXP. I'll have to settle up with them for whatever "labor" they put into it checking it out...as it is I told them to either lube the cable or replace it, whichever was cheaper. The tech did pull apart the steering column first to make sure the problem wasn't in that, and indeed was the cable which it was...and he said they don't lube the cables if they are bad, they just replace them.

I looked at the raw cables online, and it's not a difficult looking install. As it is, they ordered the cable...but it won't even be in for another week....I can just order one online and have it here before that time period and install it at my leisure.

Any special tools I need for the job?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thepotroast View Post
    Well if it's not really a big deal to put in...then I will just do it myself. Going to call the dealer tomorrow when they open and tell them I am going to come pick up my RXP. I'll have to settle up with them for whatever "labor" they put into it checking it out...as it is I told them to either lube the cable or replace it, whichever was cheaper. The tech did pull apart the steering column first to make sure the problem wasn't in that, and indeed was the cable which it was...and he said they don't lube the cables if they are bad, they just replace them.

I looked at the raw cables online, and it's not a difficult looking install. As it is, they ordered the cable...but it won't even be in for another week....I can just order one online and have it here before that time period and install it at my leisure.

Any special tools I need for the job?
    Nope...just get a little closer to your toolbox...and see post 7 for the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by jpeconsult View Post
    Nope...just get a little closer to your toolbox...and see post 7 for the cable.
    I went through the Maintenance FAQ forum where procedures are stickied...couldn't find the thread, did a search for "steering" and it didn't pop anything up there either. I must be looking in the wrong place....can you link the post to me

Thread Information