Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New the the Forum, starting a 787 rebuild!

Hello everybody,
    Just joined and I am starting a serious rebuild of a trashed motor in a 97 GSX. GSX hull/comp/jet/systems are perfect, motors never cared for. Plan is to hone the cylinder walls and use new pistons, prob a new crank and balance rod. Not sure if I should do the same with the rotary shaft or not? Cranks bearings/seals look bad, sounds bad, balnace shaft bearings and seal are shot.

I'm relatively new the jet skis so this will be my first jetski engine build. I am including some pics of the engine itself for some advice.

Maybe a recomendation for a crank assembly, group K looks pretty professional, with a ton of research on there site. Was thinking of getting my crank from them?

Looking for advice on tools, like honing tools, which pistons/rings/needle bearings for OEM quality?

I'm trying to do this myself because I know I will be in this hobby for a while so if I can do the work myslef adn save money and learn more about my ski the better!
    Thanks for the help guys.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Forum! sounds like your doing your home work. If you are going to build a heavily modded boat then yes Iwould go with a crank from them. Opinions will vary here, but if your building a stocker with limited mods such as intake grate, pump mods you will find more choices. Personally I use Hotrods, never had any trouble with them so far. Good Luck, keep us posted....BTW we like pics too so post up progress

Thanks alot!
    Yeah my ski is more for reliability since the ski stock is supposed to be around mid 50's? That's fine for me, maybe small mods later like you said but nothing major. I had been looking at the hot rod cranks too. Are they brand new parts? Where are the parts made? I'd like to stay away from China stuff, and if I have to pay more I'm ok with that, I do know a lot of parts are made throughout Asia so its hard to get away from them.

Here are some initial pics of the teardown of Hull and Motor, I have replaced all the SS clamps, grey fuel lines, oil lines, siphon hoses, degreased and cleaned inside of hull, VTS works great, comp 2 beeps good, rear elec box good, jet oil changed, wear ring seems ok, will get a pic later, need vts/start button, need oil cable/choke cable, and trac mats...

I guess I need some advice on if the cylinders can be honed smooth enough adn do I need to go up a piston size, but that is getting into a boring more than honing situation, right? I am heading to Sears to get a hone tool and a micrometer see where my cylinders are at now, then that will tell me where I can go. Seems like a hone job would smooth out the mild scoring in there, maybe you guys can tell better? I know the interanls are toast, but the case is good. And I didnt want to go mass produced reman.

Here are some pics..

Also what supplier has the cheapest prices on OEM pistons? I'll go with new cageless needle bearings, Can I reuse my pins? they seem fine.. Guess I'll get a Hot rods crank too if I can't find a local shop. Should be about it..

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Quote Originally Posted by andytk5 View Post
    Also what supplier has the cheapest prices on OEM pistons? I'll go with new cageless needle bearings, Can I reuse my pins? they seem fine.. Guess I'll get a Hot rods crank too if I can't find a local shop. Should be about it..
    Welcome to GH! You can use the parts store here for OEM stuff. Cheapest? I have no idea. I would replace the pins, based on the amount of rust inside your engine. I'd also use the OEM pins. The trick is to use a 3/8" drive 14mm short socket, and white lube lithium gease. Use the grease to install all the pins on the rod, then slip the socket inside to retain them. When you set the piston on and push the pin through, the socket comes out the other end, with no needles lost.

Banned User
    not sure who is the equivelent down there, but id send the crank away to a place that will do a core exchange, I put a link to who we use, ends up around $400 for a brand new crank! Slightly less for you with exchange. Id grab some Pro-X pistons, they are just like OEM but half the price, Ive run them in all my raceboats with no issues

www.cvtech-aab.com

http://www.cvtech-aab.com/DocumentsA...nsReusines.pdf

+1
    Looks like you have barnacles growing inside the pipe also, check the head and make sure that its not pitted. I dont think that it is from the picture but check just to be safe.

Cool thanks guys!

I know, the guy obviously didn't care abotu this thing even though he dropped some real coin on it.. Unbeleivable how people are... I figured I could use a drill and wore brush attachment to get all the buildup out of the pipe... Plus I am going to run a wire brush down the water passages in the cylinders and head to clean out all the corrosion.

Cylinder head looks good, I cleaned it up real nice with a scotch brite and carb cleaner, I'll put a pic so you can see what you think.

I will be using new OEM pistons, New pins, and New needles all OEM.

Figured I may just use a hot rods crank and just drop it in, local guy said about $500+ but Atlantic Jetsports had some on there for under 400, dont know if they were hot rods though, didnt say.. spctrumwatercraft.com seemed to have good crank prices too?

Guess I should replace the rotary shaft bearing then go from there. The brass gear seems ok, little wear pattern in the middle,

I picked up a hone kit today with a set of 240 grit and 400 grit stones,

+1
    looking good. I have the oil and throttle cables if your interested...$10 plus shipping. you may want to consider taking the parts with corrosion on them to a radiator shop and have them dipped. to remove all the junk....just a thought. not sure if it will work. someone may chime in and correct me if im wrong.

+1
    Listen to Robert and use the cage-less bearings, they have lots more surface area over the caged ones.
    I would rebuild the CB shaft as well with new seals and bearings.
    I would pull the RV shaft and replace that bearing as well. You can do it without the special tools using an oven and an ice cube.

I wouldn't use much of anything from that motor.
    Your also going to need more than a hone, you need new oversized pistons and a good bore job.

Look at the Pro X stuff, back when I worked on 2 strokes their stuff was always cheaper than stock and just as good if not better.

I have a couple of special tools like the RV gear puller and, another puller of some sort and a degree wheel all of which you will need.

If you want them yo can have all 3 of them for $30 shipped.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information