Thread: XL1200 Help

Unhappy XL1200 Help

Hey guys, I am needing some help. I took my 2000 Xl1200 out yesterday to see how it performed after the carb rebuild that was performed. Let me first state what was done to the ski. Removed the choke and installed a primer kit, R&D Power Plenum & rebuilt carbs and put all parts recommended by OsideBill for carbs with no chokes and after market FA’s. The ski ran fine for a few trips then all the sudden it just fell flat on it’s nose and turned off. I started it back up but quickly did the same thing. Being that I was in the middle of the lake with no traffic on it, I tried to restart it but all it did was clicked. Once I got it home I checked the battery and it had a full charge. I tried to start it again but it just clicked. After a couple of more tries it did start but sounds like crap. Anyone have any ideas on where I should start to trouble shoot? Thanks.

+1
    Remove spark plugs and try to turn over. After cooling off does it turn over? Do compression test if it turns over.

It does turn over now. I will be doing a compression test this evening. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by 00 XLT View Post
    It does turn over now. I will be doing a compression test this evening. Thanks for the input.
    Sorry to hear that mine did the same exact thing when it was stock the oil line had fallen off the #3 cylinder causing it to seize once it cooled it would start but run rough get a compression check right away did you go premix or are you still using the oil pump the lines get weak and fall off. Ron

do the compression test and cross your fingers.

Ron, I kept the oil injection for the mean time which may have proved to be a costly mistake. I did a compression test and the #3 cylinder wouldn't even give me a reading....time to rebuild. I will start taking things apart this weekend.

+1

Unhappy

Sorry to hear that dude.

Quote Originally Posted by 00 XLT View Post
    Ron, I kept the oil injection for the mean time which may have proved to be a costly mistake. I did a compression test and the #3 cylinder wouldn't even give me a reading....time to rebuild. I will start taking things apart this weekend.
    Yep get the exhaust off and see if the oil line came off mine was #3 as well when it was stock and get the oil block off plate for the next time let me know if the line came off thats what it sounds like.

Thread Information