Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tigershark Monte Carlo 1000 progress

Ok I got into the shop today and was able to start messing around with them. Jet ski one doesn't have an electrical issue. Spark was good. Guy I bought it off said he was having bad readings with the continuity tester he was using. I did however find out that there is a fuel issue. I checked the fuel pump and it seems to be ok. I pumped some of the fuel into a jug and poured a little in the carbs and it turned over and fired. Checked and there is no fuel being sprayed in the carbs so I have a problem somewhere between the pump and the carbs. I am going to look into the manual this evening and see what I can figure out. I have to figure out what the impulse line is and how it works. I haven't ever had to mess with that stuff before. I may have to rebuild them all and may just do that anyway but I am happy to at least have narrowed down the problem

Jet ski 2: Did some quick work on this one too. It may not be as bad as I originally thought with this one. There is going to be some engine work but I think all of the problem is in the PTO cylinder. Other 2 look good. No metal in there that I can see. There is metal in the PTO one though. I am hoping that maybe I can get away with a top end and not have to mess with crank. I will know more in a bit. I will jet number one running first but I think I will start tearing the top end off this one as I go.

For the first jet ski with the fuel problem pull the fuel pump off the carb and there will be a little fuel filter in the carb. Pull that out and see if its clean. If all that looks good flip over to the other side of the carb and pull that cover off. On the left side of the carb with be the needle and seat. You can pull that out and make sure everthing is good and clean. Also check the tip of the needle to make sure it doesnt have an indent around it. If it does you going to have to replace the neede and seat. Then on the right side of the carb there is a cover held on by two screws take them out. There will be two jets behind this. The top on being you high speed jet and the bottom being your low. The pulse line your talking about takes postive/negative pressure from the crankcase and uses it to power the fuel pump. Make sure the pulse line itself is in good shape and not cuts or cracks in it.

Jet ski #2. When you have a problem like this it is better to tear everything down to check it all out. I would really stink to just try to replace the top end and go out there for your first ride and the crank bearing gives out and kills your motor. Most of the time when you see rear PTO cylinders go out it is because the crankseals were leaking and causing a lean fuel mixture.

Sounds like the project is going good. Keep us updated.

Do you think all of the filters would be blocked at the same time? I am not getting fuel to any of them. I found rebuild kits that include the filter for 29 a piece so I was thinking I would just buy it rebuild them and be done with the carbs. I was thinking that I would do the needle valves too. Do those wear out typically? My sportster had one Mikuni on it and it was new so I didn't have to ever mess with it. My ultra is fuel injected. I am still wondering if there may be some other problem with the vaccum that would be causing the fuel not to flow. These work much different than what I am used to. I want to convert them to fuel injection lol

Yes all three of your filters could be pluged. Sometimes the fuel lines will rot on the inside and then all the gummy goe will end up in your filters. So how did you get the fuel pumps to pump fuel into a jug? You will not see fuel being sqirted inside the carb if that is what your looking for. what is the brand of carb rebuild kit your getting? If they are that cheap they are most likely WSM. They will work but I am not a big fan of them. The gaskets and fuel pump parts are all made with cheaper materials then the OEM mikuni rebuild kit.

i unhooked the fuel line from the carb and turned over the engine. It was pumping fuel then. I think they were jetlyne or something like that. I am not guess I am not sure what I would be looking for then. I had the covers and everything off but even when turning it over I saw nothing happening. When I poured some gas in them it fired up.

If your dumping fuel down the carbs and it will run for a few sec's and then shut off because its out of fuel I would go into the carbs and look for a problem.

i had a funky fuel problem with my 1100 a ways back where i could crank and crank the engine and it would never start. I got a primer for it and never had an issue since. I still to this day have no idea what the deal was, but it's good now.

But go over the carbs again, make sure the gaskets and diaphragms are new and the jets are unobstructed. And double check the idle screw is not all the way out. lol

Well the primer thing got me thinking about the jet ski. I noticed that the fuel pump had been changed on the ski at some time in the recent past. There was still paint on the pump and the fuel lines to make sure they went to the right place. I noticed when i was checking things out that the accelerator pump was not pumping anything when I pushed it by hand. I thought that maybe the bowl in the carb was somehow dry or something so I got a small bottle of gas and primed the carbs. The ski started right up so I kept spraying a little bit at a time to see if it would stay running and it did. I ran it for a minute and then shut it down. Now when I pulled the throttle the accelerator pump did spray a little bit of gas. The ski now starts up right away and runs great. I am not sure what happened but I was a simple fix so I was happy. The other is going to need engine work for sure but I have 2 skis that r running well so I can not worry about having to have one of them finished at the beginning of season. I a guessing there wasn't enough gas to create the vaccum or something. I am not sure but it runs well so I am happy

yea sounds like you just needed to get fuel to the carbs. Another trick you can do if that ever happens again is take of the return line off the carb and blow in it. It will put pressure in the fuel tank and push fuel through the supply line. Keep blowing till you see fuel spit out the return nipple on the carb.

Thanks for all the help so far and answers to my questions. I am going to be getting the one I just got fixed back on the trailer with the shuttle craft tomorrow and the I will be moving my Polaris SL 650 onto it too. Then it is just a matter of seeing what I got going with the second one. It will not crank over some something bad is going on inside there but I will see soon enough I guess. I am hoping to get the engine out by next Tuesday. Are these engines generally reliable? I was just curious. I am willing to do the work on the skis but if these are not the most reliable engines I may just take my time and go for the conversion right away. I enjoy doing this kind of stuff but I am going to want to enjoy riding it too.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information