04-05 clutch question

I recently purchased (4 Tech Performance) the Riva metal clutch/washers for my 2005 RXT with about 60hrs on it. Once I had the supercharger off and started to install the new washers a few questions/observations came to mind.

1. The inside diameter (ID) on the clutches on my 2005 RXT are different, one is slightly smaller. I have read a few comments regarding these not being installed properly when people rebuild or upgrade to the metal clutches and am a little confused. Isn’t it physically impossible to install these incorrectly, as the smaller diameter one will not slide over the shaft (shaft drive plate and or journal) and the larger one will.
    To spell it out it shouldn’t it be arranged like this:
    Starting from shaft drive plate Larger ID clutch, Gear, Smaller ID clutch, Lock nut, Spring washers, L spacer and finally Nut. (sandwiching the drive gear between the two clutches)?

2. My stock (ceramic clutches measure .060 (each) and the Riva ones measure .070 (each). The .020 difference has increased my slip moment from 68 inch lbs to 90 inch lbs, which is still in spec according to the manual. My concern is the threads on the shaft are just barely protruding after I torque this all up (using red loc- tight). Is this normal when replacing the old (thinner .060 each) ceramic clutches with the new slightly (thicker .070) Riva metal clutches?

Banned User
    +1
    You are perfectly fine...

Are you reusing the spring washers?

+1
    Correct the 04/05 clutches cannot be mixed up.They will only go on one way..

As far as the threads sticking out a tiny bit that is normal..You need to torque the nut down to 22 ft LBS and no more..You will have about a 1/8 of the threads sticking out....90 Inch lbs is perfect for a stock Scer slip..

+1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	www_rivamotorsports_com_instructions_rs1751_hdw_948_0000.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	799.4 KB 
ID:	177239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	www_rivamotorsports_com_instructions_rs1751_hdw_948_0001.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	617.3 KB 
ID:	177240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	www_rivamotorsports_com_instructions_rs1751_hdw_948_0002.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	423.2 KB 
ID:	177241  

Thanks for the quick reply I appreciate it.

Yes I am re-using the original spring washers. Do you think I should replace?

I did buy the McMaster Spring Washers but after seeing the difference in the metal clutch thickness and checking the slip moment figured I was ok.
    Kind of killed 2 birds with one stone. Got rid of the problematic ceramic clutch washers and the difference in the thickness increased my slip moment by 22 inch lbs.

I know what the manual states for slip moment and have read allot of post regarding the slip moment on this forum, would it be safe to say that depending on the shaft you have kind of dictates the slip moment you can safely get away with?

+1
    Slip is dictated buy the amount of boost your wheel is making. General rule is 1 lb/ft for 1 psi boost. So 120 in/lb is good for 10 psi. This is a general rule only many factors will play a role in clutch wear.

+1
    I guess the question would be is what Scer wheel are you using??If you are using the stock Scer wheel then 90 inch LBS of slip is right on the money..Like Beerdart had stated when modifying to bigger Scers you want to use the 1 lbs to boost reference when setting the slip.As far as changing the spring washers??well thats up to you.When you replaced the clutch washers they were thicker acting like a shim to increase the pressure.IMO you can run it as is BUT if you feel more comfortable then you can change them out.Just a word of warning,ALL 5 McMaster Carr washers will put your slip way above what you are looking for..I would start with one and add as needed.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I have lost faith in my local dealerships ability to handle the maintenance and repairs of these machines (2 superchargers and 1 engine replacement, etc. later (2004 RXP), fortunately I purchased the extended warranty)

This forum / data base has given me the knowledge and confidence to maintain, repair and upgrade my ski's plus all the trial and error / opinions from your members is absolutely priceless information this is hands down the best resource for PWC's. Keep it up...

Thread Information