Help In buying a Ski

Hello,

I am new here, I am looking to buy a 2002 Seadoo GXT with 45 hours, the hull seems to be in tact, when the owner started it on dry land, it idles ok, but there is smoke comig from the rear end. the ski has been sitting for a while and he rarely takes it out. the price is $2000 without the trailer. is that a good price. i am thinking it is a 4 stroke but not sure.

Please let me know if that is a good buy or not. thanks for help in advance.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I believe that its a 951 2 stroke. if it is thats normal...thats why they call them 2 smokes. Ask him to take it for a ride. if he says no, walk away. theres something wrong with it. if its a light gray hazy smoke thats ok just not a lot. do a compression test. if the numbers are roughly equal and above 120 you should be good.

+1
    Put up a pic of it and I can tell you if it is a 2-stroke or not. I have had an '02 GTX for several years now. It is one of the best boats SD ever made.

Still, a great boat that is broken is broken so like AB said, get it in the water before putting any money down.

Pictures of the Ski

Thanks for the prompt reply, here are some pics of the ski, let me know if you need more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	7.9 KB 
ID:	177450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	177451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SKI.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	177452  

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    yep, thats a 951 2 stroke. Does it start instantly and idle, what sounds like, kinda high RPM's? if it does thats a good sign. can you see any oil or debris in the hull? is it dirty or clean inside? can you see any leaks on the pipe? look in the pump and have someone shine a light up the intake. ifyou can see a lot of light ,you need a new wear ring. if you got minimal light your good,thats what you want....im wondering why its going for $2000

This is what the Hull looks like, it starts up just fine and idles ok.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ski Hull.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	177457  

+1
    Ahhhhhh, the most beautifull boat SD ever made, after the '99 XPL, that is.

As pointed out, it should smoke.

I suggest the following:

Compression check (should read at least 130 and both holes within 5% of each other-nod to airborne).

Ask him to pull the nozzel and take the plug out of the pump cone. Use a syringe to pull up some of the pump oil (use a tube to get down to the bottom) and check for one, the oil level, and two for any water. A new pump is not cheap and pumps are often neglected.

Then ride it.

Check the WOT RPM (you do not have to wail on it but in a few seconds you should be around 6800-6850 depending on the weather and fuel level). Then slow down to idle, the RPM should drop right down as it comes off a plain. If not, it is running lean and that is A: something you will have to fix and B: something that could cause (or has caused) engine damage.

Not trying to scare you off it, just trying to help you catch any potential deal breakers.

Thread Information