Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

New Ski: GP1200 Questions

Sam on PWCtoday just hooked me up with a sweet deal on a GP1200 minus engine and I have a few questions about it.

1. Trim Tabs - I did a search, but never found a resolution on which ones are the best and/or where you can find them. I have never seem them. What is their function and are they a necessity?

2. Decals - Where can I find OEM decals. The one I have on the front is faded and boats.net does not have these available.

3. Prop - The ski came with a Solas J prop. Is this the correct pitch for this ski? I will be running a stock 1200 engine with milled head (150psi) and flame arrestors.

Thanks,

Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4507.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	177338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4520.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	177339  

+1

Wink

Nice! good luck with it.forgot to ask what did you pay for it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
    Nice! good luck with it.
    Thanks. I think once I get some new graphics and clean up some of the fading with a heat gun it will look more presentable. I paid $50 for the hull and $200 for the trailer.

+1
    Trim Tabs
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...20&postcount=3

Post #3 and 4

They are a neccesity. Most likely, the stock tabs have fallen off. They are a cheap plastic tab that is secured with 4 screws on the 97. They are under the rear bottom of the hull. As the bottom of the hull comes back to the transom, it will step up a little bit. There is a spot on each side of the hull for a trim tab. If you dont have them, you should have 4 screws holes where they once were. The tabs I linked to above fit perfectly in place.

With stock tabs, water can get between tab and hull and cause drag or a pull to one side or the other. I am sure they can flex some too. The replacements are billet aluminum and are sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam E. View Post
    Sam on PWCtoday just hooked me up with a sweet deal on a GP1200 minus engine and I have a few questions about it.

1. Trim Tabs - I did a search, but never found a resolution on which ones are the best and/or where you can find them. I have never seem them. What is their function and are they a necessity?

2. Decals - Where can I find OEM decals. The one I have on the front is faded and boats.net does not have these available.

3. Prop - The ski came with a Solas J prop. Is this the correct pitch for this ski? I will be running a stock 1200 engine with milled head (150psi) and flame arrestors.

Thanks,

Adam
    1. what year ? looks like the 97 by the decals..
    you will need the metal trim tabs..check search for gp tabs in old school... follow the link above as there are some fellows here that had them made ...they are not made comercially anymore !

2. decals .. pretty much gone as o/e's.. exoticsign to get expensive but good one's! and then, p/m MPEAVLER...he had some nice ones made localy to him very reasonable too.. he could hook you up to that fellows phone #

3. the xj should work fine with your compression boost & f/a's
    (I'D check it for pitch as it may have been rebent and not as steep as the xj was intended, or send it out and have it bent to what you want.)
    its a good impeller for the gp!!!

Get it running, get some #'s and than see where your at!!
    Nice find!!!!

+1

Smile

Hey Adam you said your cleaning up faded plastic with heat gun. Please explain as I have some faded plastics also. Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Briglio View Post
    Hey Adam you said your cleaning up faded plastic with heat gun. Please explain as I have some faded plastics also. Thanks.
    Basically I just take a heat gun on a medium to low setting and, going very slowly, I move back in forth along the plastic. By heating the plastic you are secreting chemicals that make the color vibrant again. This is a slow and delicate process and will only work on hard plastic parts. Keep your gun about 6 inches away or more and move in a steady pace not staying in one spot too long. I do this in the garage with a large bucket of cold water right next to me. After I finish a section I dip and repeat on the other side. One word of caution is that heating the parts can cause their shape to concave a little so do not bend them too much while they are in you hands. This is a cheap and effective way to jazz up your ski.

Attached are some pictures of the hood piece that I did on my Waveraider. Let me know if you have any questions.

What part are you doing on your ski?

Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4139.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	177568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4141.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	177569  

the heat method works very well on plastics.. that RAIDER piece turned back nicely in the blue!
    work slowly and you will like the results..

word of caution!! .. protect your paint surfaces if you cant remove the part.. on newer skis its paint and not gelcoat (97 gp's are painted)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by w/rpm500 View Post
    the heat method works very well on plastics.. that RAIDER piece turned back nicely in the blue!
    work slowly and you will like the results..

word of caution!! .. protect your paint surfaces if you cant remove the part.. on newer skis its paint and not gelcoat (97 gp's are painted)
    Yeah thats a good piece of advice. If you can take the part off thats best. If not I have heard that a piece of aluminum will deflect heat good.

Adam

+1

Smile

Thanks for the advice guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information