Thread: Anchors Ahoy!

Anchors Ahoy!

New member here and in the process of working more towards a better pwc fishing rig. So far the advice has been great thanks all. I will answer whenever I know some What type of anchors and size do you use? I will be in the St.Johns river in Jacksonville, Fl and off the beaches. Do you guys think a 5lb flank anchor with 100 foot rope is over kill? Deepest I see in the river is probably 45ft.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cowthief View Post
    New member here and in the process of working more towards a better pwc fishing rig. So far the advice has been great thanks all. I will answer whenever I know some What type of anchors and size do you use? I will be in the St.Johns river in Jacksonville, Fl and off the beaches. Do you guys think a 5lb flank anchor with 100 foot rope is over kill? Deepest I see in the river is probably 45ft.

Welcome.....
    I use a 6# all galv folding anchor and a 3 foot shot of chain when in current with a sandy bottom. Has worked well for me for the most part.
    The proper scope of anchor line is between 5:1 and 7:1. Depending on the size of your vessel and the current and the bottom and if you have a shot of chain between your anchor and rope, and blah, blah, blah........ What I am saying is if 45 is the deepest you would anchor I would bring 250' I think a 5:1 ratio is plenty enough for a pwc. You are actually under kill... As far as your offshore drift fishing, I would highly recommend a drift anchor. They will slow your drift tremendously on a pwc and keep your bow or stern into the sea whichever you choose. All you do is splice a hand line into you main line for the drift or standard anchor that remains slacked while the main line it tight. This allows you to have the main line secured to your bow eye and the slacked hand line to your handle bar where it is easy for you to retrieve whichever anchor you are using. This is the way I do it and it really has worked well for me.

+1
    Anchors... the only accessory to PWCing on this entire forum that is asked about as much as props, rideplates, and injectors, without actually being bolted onto the vessel....

Just kiddin' Thief. My point is just that everyone will have a different answer.

Except for the off-shore portion, I fish w/Lasportsmn and our anchors are nothing alike, yet neither one of us ever complain about our equipment. BTW, I use the mushroom type (rubber coated). It's either a #5 or #8, I don't rem...

At the end of the day, I think it will all depend on what kind of bottom you've got and how fast the current is. Could be trial and error.

Use the "Search" function at the top of the page - you'll get plenty of posts about anchor types/usage.

Thread Information