Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 127
  1. #1
    Hayabusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Trenton Michigan
    Posts
    493

    SBT Quality Control


    Well Iíve decided to build one more 780 engine before summer arrives only this time, I will be using a crank rebuilt by SBT. Normally, I would use cranks that Iíve rebuilt myself. However, with all of the discussions regarding SBTs quality, I thought it would be interesting to do a build using one of their cranks and then document and share my findings. So hereís the plan. When the crank arrives I will be posting pics of how it was packaged so you can see if itís good enough to make it to you undamaged. After that, I will take good close up pics of the entire crank and give everyone my honest first impressions about how it looks. Good or bad. I will than do a run out check on the MAG and PTO ends, measure connecting rod side play on all rods, and post those numbers compared to factory specifications. Before I actually install the crank, I will take any additional pictures or answer anyoneís questions as best I can. After that, I will start building the engine.


    Regarding the engine itself, itís going to be just a stock 780 that I will be installing in my 96 SLT. It will have Wiseco pistons, all new gaskets, rebuilt carbs, fuel pump, etc. Were talking just a good quality rebuild. This should give us a good baseline engine with no known problems.

    I will be running this ski all summer and Iím going to update the thread as to how itís all going. Iím hoping this project will lend a little ďfact basedĒ information to the discussions regarding the quality of this particular SBT product.

    Let the project begin!


  2. #2
    Watcon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Posts
    872

    SBT Build

    I think this is a great idea!!
    I have spent a bit of time lately with Tom from SBT, and they are very interested in getting more exposure (and evaluation) of their newest product updates!

    I think they are taking the Polaris market a bit more seriously than other manufacturers and this is a good thing for all of us Polaris owners. The Fuji stuff is rapidly being obsoleted at Polaris, and we need a decent supplier of hard parts.

    Regards,
    Randy

  3. #3
    ph2ocraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Campbell, Ca.
    Posts
    14,100
    +1
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayabusa View Post

    I've never had a problem with seizures using any Wiseco piston and I've run them in 2-stroke motorcycles, PWC, and even kart engines. I just hope my good luck continues.

    It's all about the clearance...
    I still have a set of Wiseco's in my SLTX. I lost track past 300 hours but she still runs good, even without the trippples.

  4. #4
    ph2ocraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Campbell, Ca.
    Posts
    14,100
    +1
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Watcon View Post
    I think this is a great idea!!
    I have spent a bit of time lately with Tom from SBT, and they are very interested in getting more exposure (and evaluation) of their newest product updates!

    I think they are taking the Polaris market a bit more seriously than other manufacturers and this is a good thing for all of us Polaris owners. The Fuji stuff is rapidly being obsoleted at Polaris, and we need a decent supplier of hard parts.

    Regards,
    Randy

    Well Tom has a long way to go to prove their product to me. I hope they have seriously stepped it up and make things right.

  5. #5
    Never kick a terd on a Hot day! jorlando32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Durant, Ok
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Why would you "hold off" ???

    Either it's good or it is'nt. After sitting for 8 months worries me !!!

    to Hayabusa to step up and give us some real world-educated feedback.
    This is my first ski and I didnt know there was issues with the SBT crank.
    I also didnt think it mattered if it sat in the package or in the cases. I didnt have the parts to complete the motor at the time anyways. But thanks to some of the "friendly" people here at Greenhulk I have the parts, and am gaining knowledge every time I log in! Example: This Thread

  6. #6
    Hayabusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Trenton Michigan
    Posts
    493
    Quote Originally Posted by jorlando32 View Post
    This is my first ski and I didnt know there was issues with the SBT crank.
    I also didnt think it mattered if it sat in the package or in the cases. I didnt have the parts to complete the motor at the time anyways. But thanks to some of the "friendly" people here at Greenhulk I have the parts, and am gaining knowledge every time I log in! Example: This Thread
    I not sure there are really any issues with SBT cranks. So many of the concerns that I hear turn out to be hearsay or you find out the engine had other "problems" that more than likely, took out the crank. That's the reason I'm going to build a 780 engine using an SBT crank and see for myself.

    You are correct, it doesn't matter how long the crank sits in the cases or package as long as it's stored in a dry environment and that it's well oiled.

    With the prices of Polaris watercraft falling, it's hard to put a $600 crank into a ski that costs less than that including the trailer! Many people want to keep these fun skis on the water, but they need a more economical choice, when it comes to replacement engine parts. SBT charges $250 for a rebuilt 650-780 Polaris crank. If the product turns out to be good one, that's a great price. It costs me nearly that much to rebuild one of these cranks and that's only because I don't charge myself labor.

  7. #7
    ph2ocraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Campbell, Ca.
    Posts
    14,100
    +1
    105
    Heresay my ASS!!
    I have personally purchased and used their cranksssss. Not one, but a few. I'm not alone, just do a search or two.
    I have stopped trying to trash SBT and their crap from the old days because it's in the past BUT they were garbage!
    Ask yourself this...Why does Tom want or need to make improvements if there were no known isues??

  8. #8
    ujustlost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Howell Michigan
    Posts
    1,597
    +1
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Heresay my ASS!!
    I have personally purchased and used their cranksssss. Not one, but a few. I'm not alone, just do a search or two.
    I have stopped trying to trash SBT and their crap from the old days because it's in the past BUT they were garbage!
    Ask yourself this...Why does Tom want or need to make improvements if there were no known isues??
    He said "many" not ALL were hearsay or had other problems involved. So yes some hearsay!
    I would ask this. If everyone who has said something bad about sbt actually personally had issues with their products and not some other problem with the ski that caused the problems or giving advise based off what someone else told them, then how is it that their still in business?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homer Glen Il.
    Posts
    8,702
    +1
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by ph2ocraft View Post
    Heresay my ASS!!
    I have personally purchased and used their cranksssss. Not one, but a few. I'm not alone, just do a search or two.
    I have stopped trying to trash SBT and their crap from the old days because it's in the past BUT they were garbage!
    Ask yourself this...Why does Tom want or need to make improvements if there were no known isues??

    you answered your own ??? ,it's in the past and Tom wasn't there then and he is now and he's trying to make a better product
    I know a few guys who have ran there cranks and they have han no problems with them .
    If a guy doesn't fix the original problem then he will have problems if he goes OEM ,Crankworks or any other crank correct ???

    Or they forget to tell you the oil line fell off or the thing went lean .oh we forgot to premix theres many other reasons for cranks to fail .

  10. #10
    ph2ocraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Campbell, Ca.
    Posts
    14,100
    +1
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by ujustlost View Post
    He said "many" not ALL were hearsay or had other problems involved. So yes some hearsay!
    I would ask this. If everyone who has said something bad about sbt actually personally had issues with their products and not some other problem with the ski that caused the problems or giving advise based off what someone else told them, then how is it that their still in business?

    I'm not speaking for anybody else just my personal experience.
    BUT take the time to search threads at the old sbt site, PWCToday and you'll get photo's of "issues" and then draw your own conclusions.
    Take the time to talk to actual engine builders and ask why they DON'T use SBT cranks. Make a call to Crank Works and talk to Phil, see what he says.
    Why are they still in business?? Fantastic advertising program, warranty and NOW a desire to make the product better.

    Look, I'm not saying they can't build a better product, I'm simply stating the stuff they used to make for the Poalris enthusiast was CRAP and until they can prove otherwise my money will go to the better crank builders, no matter how much it costs.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-21-2015, 05:04 PM
  2. SBT Quality Discussion.....Yamaha related products
    By OsideBill in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 05-07-2015, 09:54 AM
  3. SBT driveline kit quality?
    By Pwgsx in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-16-2013, 09:54 AM
  4. EFI Controller Quality?
    By dduck1628 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 05:18 PM
  5. My new piggyback fuel controller with bigger injectors
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •