Using Ethanol in the 4TEC

In the area I'm located, there are just no gas stations offering Ethanol free fuel...I've checked online at some Ethanol sites, and confirmed that the nearest station is about 1.5hrs away...

Is there an additive that I can put in the gas to get rid of the Ethanol or ensure that it's not going to adversely affect my engine? I know in my SUV (which is a flex-fuel E85 truck), my gas mileage sucks when I use gasoline with Ethanol added, and I have heard that there can be harmful effects of using gas with Ethanol in engines that are not engineered or intended to use it...

I'd just like to know if there's something I can put into the gasoline to eliminate the Ethanol, or if it really even matters

when you say ETHANOL are you talking about E85. If so you can run E85 on your ski with no problem you just have to tune it for it. E85 runs cooler than GAS so you can run more timing and boost to get more power out of it. It just so happens that they are not many tuners out there that use this fuel or know how to tune it or maybe they just dont want everyone to know about it.......

Quote Originally Posted by RXPT400 View Post
    when you say ETHANOL are you talking about E85. If so you can run E85 on your ski with no problem you just have to tune it for it. E85 runs cooler than GAS so you can run more timing and boost to get more power out of it. It just so happens that they are not many tuners out there that use this fuel or know how to tune it or maybe they just dont want everyone to know about it.......
    Well, it's not as simple as just tuning for the E85, there are many things to consider when running the E85. First, the heat value of E85 is considerably less than gasoline, and usually requires 40% more fuel to achieve the same power compared to gasoline. Many E85 conversion kits would include upgraded stainless steel fuel lines and other fuel components to be able to withstand the corrosive properties of E85 and include a secondary fuel pump to supply the extra fuel needed to compensate for the power. It is true that E85 can make a lot of power, but it requires LOTS more fuel and therefore the engine must be highly modified (tuned) to be able to run it. And remember, if it takes all that extra fuel to achieve the same power levels, then you are going to burn twice as much fuel as you would with regular gasoline. Your 20 mpg vehicle will probably only get 12 mpg on E85. There are many trade-offs/gains to the E85, I have only listed a couple.

This is why many new vehicles have E85 labels on them and some don't. The vehicles that CAN run either fuel are very different and there are sensors in the fuel system to identify what kind of fuel is in the tank and then the computer can run the engine accordingly. You just can't put in E85 into any vehicle and expect results.

I understand that the levels of E85 in "gasoline" at the pump is a low level mix and is safe for all engines. I would not worry about it in your Seadoo if you are not worried about it in your everyday driver. Why would it be safe for your car, but not your Seadoo?

+1
    my grampa has been using e85 since the early 90's and never had a problem with any of his cars. His 95 winstar had over 300,000km's with only e85 fuel. skis may be diffrent but casnt see it being to bad

To properly run E85 on a 4-tec you must change to bigger fuel injectors, fuel pump and a Stand Alone ECU to properly tune the ski. Usually people that go to E85 is because they are looking for more power at the same RPM range which they cant get runnning on Gas. If you just want to ride and have a safe ski then E85 is not for you, you will be wasting your money and time. Many professional race cars out there run on this fuel and make almost double the power but the owners are just not telling. Many engine tuners also go to this fuel to get the most out of the engine potential but it takes a good tuner to dial in good power output without sacrificing the engine...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thepotroast View Post
    In the area I'm located, there are just no gas stations offering Ethanol free fuel...I've checked online at some Ethanol sites, and confirmed that the nearest station is about 1.5hrs away...

Is there an additive that I can put in the gas to get rid of the Ethanol or ensure that it's not going to adversely affect my engine? I know in my SUV (which is a flex-fuel E85 truck), my gas mileage sucks when I use gasoline with Ethanol added, and I have heard that there can be harmful effects of using gas with Ethanol in engines that are not engineered or intended to use it...

I'd just like to know if there's something I can put into the gasoline to eliminate the Ethanol, or if it really even matters
    Bndautomotive.com call Brain about his fuel supplements

Many reasons why not, but one main one is Ethanols affinity to moisture/water.

Hoses, Pump internals, tanks.....

Not good for Marine, especially if it wasn't designed to use it.

If you have to, then pay is the only way I guess.

IF he is talking about just ethanol added to the gas,
    like around here at 10% , Then you are OK

I don't like ethanol in my supercharged engines. period..
    It contains less energy than gasoline and can throw
    off your A/F ratio a bit. 10% not a big deal though.

I have found a STA-BIL additive thats similar to their regular
    red stabil that's made for Marine Use to help combat the
    corrosiveness of ethanol additives. Its about $20 but it treats
    like 120 gallons. Ethanol NOT GOOD in any marine useage.

Thanks for all of the replies. Yes, most of the stations here have 10% Ethanol added to them, which welcomes moisture eventually leading to corrosion. Vehicles that are E85 compliant are engineered to utilize the added Ethanol without the risk of the damage it can cause.

As far as "fuel efficiency" goes, that's not really a factor...I'm on an RXP, I burn through 15 gallons of 93 octane in 3 hours of play time...lol If I wanted to worry about fuel efficiency, I would have bought a cruiser

I'll look into those additives that will help to dissipate the Ethanol, thanks for the suggestions.

And I know I can't be the only one here that has no choice on gasoline...quite a few states are becoming harder and harder to find Ethanol-free fuel.

+1
    Just find a really old gas station they will not have the 10% ethanol fuel because the fee to clean the tanks and start using the ethanol treated fuel is really high if you are that concerned,I use it every 2 and 4 stroke ski I own(about 10)with zero problems

Thread Information