Unhappy 1998 Polaris Pro Pump Issues

I have a 1998 Plaris Pro 785 and have been having major Pump Issues. It all started when I had the top end rebuilt and had to have a couple motor mounts replaced. When I got the ski back it ran fine for about 3 hours and it broke out the veins in the pump and chewed up the prop, prop shaft, wear ring, etc. I then replaced everything that it tore up. Took the ski out and ran it for about 20 minutes and inspected the vein and it was starting to break them out again and was stripping the pump shaft again. What do I need to do to fix? I'm sick of seeing it just sitting in the garage!!

P.S. When I got the ski back from the shop it would no longer shoot a rooster tail with the trim up like it did before, could this be part of the issue?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

It sounds like the engine is not properly aligned with the jet pump, or something has been re-installed incorrectly.

To check the alignment, you will need to buy or borrow an alignment tool, Polaris 2871343 or equivalent. There are a few sources around. Check with Randy at www.Watcon.com

You also need to make sure the jet pump is being assembled correctly. Post some clear photos of the pump, perhaps we can see something wrong (other than the damage itself).

Was the jet pump base (the part that is sealed to the transom of the hull and held on with nuts) ever removed?

Normally only the very long bolts need to be removed to get the jet pump off.

K447,

I just got my alignment tool in and was wanting to know what I need to do next. What am I looking for or what do I need to do now?

Thanks,

waggy_14

Not sure if the jet pump base has ever been removed, if it has what do I need to be looking for there?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by waggy_14 View Post
    K447,

I just got my alignment tool in and was wanting to know what I need to do next. What am I looking for or what do I need to do now?

Thanks,

waggy_14

Not sure if the jet pump base has ever been removed, if it has what do I need to be looking for there?
    You can find alignment info here;
    Jet Pump Maintenance and Service

How to check the jet pump to engine alignment using the alignment tool
    Shims are just large diameter 1/32" thick Stainless Steel or tough plastic washers
    Alignment instructions from Polaris

Its definitely out alignment. Where is the best place to get the shims? From what I can tell so far it needs to come up in the back and shifted to the left.

Thanks,

Waggy_14

+1
    Its definitely out alignment. Where is the best place to get the shims? From what I can tell so far it needs to come up in the back and shifted to the left.

Thanks,

Waggy_14
    I am not sure who has shims for sale these days.

Try John Zigler, or find or make your own.

Perhaps SS washers or tough plastic will do; 1/32" inch thick is the normal per shim thickness.

+1
    i have shims. how many do you have in the ski already? I could send ya some if you want. put the pump on and then feed the alignment tool thru and bring it just up to the splines on the coupler and see which way the motor has to be lifted by the shims to align it when its bullseye, your good to go. of course good bearings have to be in the pump already.

once the motor is straight, you can remove the pump completly and your still fine. then torque your prop on properly and you should be good to go.

if you want to pay for hyper shipping for the weekend., you buy and ill send it overnight to ya// might be like 8.00 for 10 shims though.. i wont charge ya for the shims just the fast shipping or we can go slow mo if ya like. might take 10 days up to you..

let me know.

Thanks for the help bowsniper!! I believe I am just gonna make my own shims. However, Once I get the motor straight, what is the best way to torque the prop down? Again thanks for your help!!

My next question is when I go to put the shims in the back mounts (cause I know the motor has to come up in the back), do I have to level the motor by putting the same amount of shims in the front?

+1
    My next question is when I go to put the shims in the back mounts (cause I know the motor has to come up in the back), do I have to level the motor by putting the same amount of shims in the front?
    Just the opposite.

What you want to do is add shims until the engine is exactly in line with the jet pump, in all dimensions. Using the alignment tool, you add and move shims until the tool slides nicely into the coupler on the engine.

Thread Information