Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Wink GP1200 engine mount mods

I have had my engine out for a rebuild and while it was out I looked at the extra mounting holes for the 760 engine. As I have some spare engine mounts my idea is to bolt them in place and span the front std mounts to these two new mounts with a stainless steel plate to give extra support for the engine. My reasons for this are, when pushing very hard in the ocean the rubber bump stop under the engine has been hitting the hull. This caused some cracking of the hull which i have now repaired. With these two extra mounts it will help support and dampen any vibration from the engine. I will let you know how it goes.

+1
    This will not help as they "mounts" are still all on the same Bed plate that is in the hull if I understand what your saying. All 6 mounts are located on the same insert...so even with you having the SS piece, it's still going to be pulling from the same section IMO

M

+1
    What i suggest is removing the rubber piece under the motor or add a seccond rubber bumper so the load is absorbed by both bumpers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    This will not help as they "mounts" are still all on the same Bed plate that is in the hull if I understand what your saying. All 6 mounts are located on the same insert...so even with you having the SS piece, it's still going to be pulling from the same section IMO

M
    Its not the pulling, its the compression of the mounts that will be less.

+1
    Ahh...or get the solid mounts =0)

+1
    Find some Monkey Grip Mounts, they were far superior to the OEM ones. Hot Products used to carry them.

+1

Wink

I took my 98 GP1200 out today with a full tank of fuel and the new 6 engine mount setup. 62.1 mph on GPS with very smooth power. Vibration is almost gone ! I am confident this is a positive move, under full power settings the torque of the engine tries to move the crankshaft out of alignment with the driveshaft and the rubber coupler must fight this movement. This causes a loss of power thru drag on the engine. It seems livelier and is faster with a full tank . Im happy so far !

I wish I could see a picture of this modification. I guess he added two more mounts, but where? And some stainless steel bars?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I took my 98 GP1200 out today with a full tank of fuel and the new 6 engine mount setup. 62.1 mph on GPS with very smooth power. Vibration is almost gone ! I am confident this is a positive move, under full power settings the torque of the engine tries to move the crankshaft out of alignment with the driveshaft and the rubber coupler must fight this movement. This causes a loss of power thru drag on the engine. It seems livelier and is faster with a full tank . Im happy so far !

+1
    That year GP came with a 1200 or a 760 engine. So there are motor mount holes in the bottom of the hull for both engines. Sounds like he bolted 2 extra mounts in the unused 760 holes and used a plate to make a bracket to mount the mounts to the engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shinyhalo View Post
    I wish I could see a picture of this modification. I guess he added two more mounts, but where? And some stainless steel bars?
    +1 pics would be cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information