Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

98 gsxl 951 starter issues

well my gsxl is given me a hard time, ive charged my batteries tested them in my cousins 951, my gp800r and they start the ski. mine clicks at the electrical box, when i try to start. so i played with the cable that attaches to the starter and got it to turn over with no plugs in. very slowly though. then stopped and did the click thing. so i hooked up a car battery with jumpers to give it some help and still nothing just clicks. so i removed the started cable and tried to turn the ski over by directly going to the battery... well nothing no spark noise nothin, hit the start button same click coming form electrical box from the solenoid. so i am lost, sometimes it turns over so i dont think its the starter. any ideas? is it the solenoid?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 98gsxl951 View Post
    well my gsxl is given me a hard time, ive charged my batteries tested them in my cousins 951, my gp800r and they start the ski. mine clicks at the electrical box, when i try to start. so i played with the cable that attaches to the starter and got it to turn over with no plugs in. very slowly though. then stopped and did the click thing. so i hooked up a car battery with jumpers to give it some help and still nothing just clicks. so i removed the started cable and tried to turn the ski over by directly going to the battery... well nothing no spark noise nothin, hit the start button same click coming form electrical box from the solenoid. so i am lost, sometimes it turns over so i dont think its the starter. any ideas? is it the solenoid?
    Yes, it sounds like the solenoid is going bad. If you find out it's your starter I have one for sale off my 951. PM me if needed. Good luck!

+1
    If you cross the big posts on the solonoid and it still will not start then the starter is likely the problem. This assumes a good battery, which it sounds like you have.

Unless you run a wire as big as the battery cable directly to the starter you can not be sure enough power is going to it. Thus, try crossing the solonoid.

If you are going to jump the battery off a car make sure the car is not running. As a general rule, though, do NOT jump them, EVER, unless you really need to get it running RFN.

Overall, it sounds like Drew is right and you need a batt.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post

If you are going to jump the battery off a car make sure the car is not running. As a general rule, though, do NOT jump them, EVER, unless you really need to get it running RFN.
    What's the reasoning behind this??? Too much juice? Ski electronics can't handle it?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cvbdrew View Post
    What's the reasoning behind this??? Too much juice? Ski electronics can't handle it?
    yep. unless you want to deal with electrical ghosts later on, jumpstart it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cvbdrew View Post
    Correct.

The worst things seems to be the jump start settings on batt chargers and running cars.

Jumping off a larger battery or a jump box is safer, but that is not to say, safe.

Sea Doo Rule to Live By #1: Never apply a greater than 2amp charge rate to the battery while it is connected to the boat's electrical system.

Also, FYI, the wet cell type batteries can be charged at a 6amp rate, but only when disconected. Never charge a wet cell at a more than 6amp rate. AGM type batteries are actually a bit more sensitive to charge rate than one would think (ask anyone who sells Optimas) and can only take a 10amp charge rate but nothing higher (though I reccomend a 2amp rate on them).

+1
    If it is your solenoid then you dont have to replace it, they can be dismantled and cleaned and be reused.
    Drill out the rivetts that hold the cylinder case and remove,you will then see carbon on the contact terminals remove them and clean these surfaces up with a flat file or sandpaper and then re rivett cylinder case to the mounting plate and thats it your done.
    If you get a second hand one you dont know how much carbon build up it has on the terminals so I always pull these apart and clean.Its not nice being out in big surf with an engine that cant start all due to dirty contacts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    Also, FYI, the wet cell type batteries can be charged at a 6amp rate, but only when disconected. Never charge a wet cell at a more than 6amp rate. AGM type batteries are actually a bit more sensitive to charge rate than one would think (ask anyone who sells Optimas) and can only take a 10amp charge rate but nothing higher (though I reccomend a 2amp rate on them).
    I always remove my battery if charging is required. During the summer months, my ski sits on a floating dock, not the trailer. I don't feel comfortable charging over water for some reason. But, I did not know about charging at 6amps vs 10. I always set my charger to 10 when hooked to a motorcycle or ski battery. I'm glad I never blew up or ruined one! Thanks for the tip!

Sorry to thread jack... keep us posted on the progress!

+1
    thanks for the reply guys, i am going to order up a solenoid just in case, i wont be able to work on the ski till the weekend. gonna buy a new battery as well.... when the ski was turning over it was very slowly.. maybe both batteries are just dead.. i charged them at 2amps for ten hours so i dont know...

+1
    so got a new starter, electrical box, added additional ground the pos, still clicks in teh electrical box... wtf.... put a jumper on and the solenoid leads got hot after a few seconds of clicking...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information