Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Intercooler Dual Feed

I did an almost identical version of Skips intercooler mod that was trickled down to me by Scott. Thanks to both of you guys for sharring! It's much appreciated!
    The differences between mine and what Skip has shown here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119048

-I drilled another hole and installed a factory through hull fitting (sealed with 5200) at the upper left corner for the second feed off of the pump. This also allows me to use the lower 5/8" fitting (connected to the top of the intercooler) as a backflush fitting with a cut length of garden hose.

-My 1/2" 90 degree fitting tapped into the pump cooling bar is NOT a restricted fitting. Don't know whether the combination of this supply along with the other stock restricted fitting is good or bad. COMMENTS??

-I replaced the lower 5/8" intercooler fitting with a brass reducer going down to 1/4" NPT along with a 1/4" NPT 90 brass fitting. (1/2" barbed, 1/2" line).

-For the exhaust outlet instead of plugging the hole I used what the yami world knows as a "stealth fitting" to tie it into the drain line off the back to dump overboard.

Comments, questions, etc etc??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 001.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	177886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	177887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 006.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	177888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 007.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	177889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 008.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	177890   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 009.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	177891  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 010.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	177892  

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I did an almost identical version of Skips intercooler mod that was trickled down to me by Scott. Thanks to both of you guys for sharring! It's much appreciated!
    The differences between mine and what Skip has shown here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119048

-I drilled another hole and installed a factory through hull fitting (sealed with 5200) at the upper left corner for the second feed off of the pump. This also allows me to use the lower 5/8" fitting (connected to the top of the intercooler) as a backflush fitting with a cut length of garden hose.

-My 1/2" 90 degree fitting tapped into the pump cooling bar is NOT a restricted fitting. Don't know whether the combination of this supply along with the other stock restricted fitting is good or bad. COMMENTS??

-I replaced the lower 5/8" intercooler fitting with a brass reducer going down to 1/4" NPT along with a 1/4" NPT 90 brass fitting. (1/2" barbed, 1/2" line).

-For the exhaust outlet instead of plugging the hole I used what the yami world knows as a "stealth fitting" to tie it into the drain line off the back to dump overboard.

Comments, questions, etc etc??
    Just put the restricted fitting on the bar and your fine. Your looking to slow the intake water into the cooler. This allows the water to actually work as its designed to.

+1
    doug i too ran the manifold drain out the back of the hull.

wouldnt those that have done the dual bottom feed by splitting the oem feed in two be slowing the flow down? what was the difference in temps with this set up to the new one exposed?

Quote Originally Posted by Skips313 View Post
    Just put the restricted fitting on the bar and your fine. Your looking to slow the intake water into the cooler. This allows the water to actually work as its designed to.

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    doug i too ran the manifold drain out the back of the hull.

wouldnt those that have done the dual bottom feed by splitting the oem feed in two be slowing the flow down? what was the difference in temps with this set up to the new one exposed?

From my testing your method slows it too much.

Your looking for close to stock pressure not lower then stock.

If you go too high "unrestricted" its not working as well.

Trust me there is a dozen ways to route your intercooler. No method is wrong, we just look for the most effective way with as little work possible.

Unrestricted water inlet into intercooler with singles line split works ok but we found the route of least resistance is getting more water then the other makeing one side cooler then the other.

We also found that dual line from the pump was too much pressure without the restricted fittings. 60 -65 psi

Alls the dual in from the pump is doing is equalizing the pressure from front to back to be matched and keeps intercooler water pressure to around 35psi without a pressure valve. Stock set up is 25psi

I didnt say any other method is wrong but I will say this is the best out of all the combos we have tried. I dont just quess at it, I now depend on the data logging to confirm it. That way people can contest data and not me, takes the personal agendas out of the equation.

Still it needs to be flushed by itself. We found a cool little tool that allows this to happen without removing any hoses.

+1
    thanks skip that explains alot sounds like the data logging has helped in more areas than one.

+1
    skip was what the temp diff between dual pump unrestricted and restricted.

Or you guys could just buy an aftermarket IC!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    Or you guys could just buy an aftermarket IC!
    If mine ever craps out that's the way I would go for sure. There is SO much room back there it would be fairly easy to mount one up.

Quote Originally Posted by JET250 View Post
    skip was what the temp diff between dual pump unrestricted and restricted.

At low RPM they were identical. What killed it for us was the rising rate of temps on a unrestricted set up. It would climb as high as 125 then it kinda dribbled at that. As if heat fade was dropping RPM allowing the cooler to catch up.

With restricted it seem to stay pretty even as you can see on the data logging. peaking or holding at 108.

Remember I'm not cramming a only one way is the right way, I hoping someone comes out and beats this one. So far my simple thinking has only one that shines above the rest.

+1
    cheers skip, nearly 20 deg difference makes it worth getting the restricted fitting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information