Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Got the stage 1 kit half complete but got ?'s

Hello everyone!

Long time lurker first time poster. I've been reading up on a lot of tips from you members and I have to say that I'm impressed with the level of knowledge some of you have displayed and I'm hoping some of you can chime in and assist me with a little project I have started.

I currently own an 08' RTX-X with 23hrs and I just picked up an entire Riva stage 1 kit. I completed the air intake and all other engine compartment stuff and now I'm on to the impeller (got the impeller removal tool), pump wedge, extension arm etc. upgrade. Along with the Stage 1 kit, I figured it would be a good opportunity the replace the wear ring so I pick one of those up as well.

I've searched high and low on how to replace an impeller on an RXT and cannot find anything thing on that subject and I'm hoping someone can point me to some step-by-step instructions.

Also, I have to say that the engine compartment stuff was a royal pain, but I managed to pull it off. Is swapping the impeller, pump wedge, extension rod, and wear ring going to be easier then what I went through? I know some of you may not think it's all that difficult, but for me it was a huge challenge provided my limited knowledge of the inter workings of mechanics.

Any info you can provide is much appreciated and I hope to be able to contribute real soon instead of sponging for information.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Most of the info is posted in the FAQ section.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=536

Quote Originally Posted by cwilliams21 View Post
    Hello everyone!

Long time lurker first time poster. I've been reading up on a lot of tips from you members and I have to say that I'm impressed with the level of knowledge some of you have displayed and I'm hoping some of you can chime in and assist me with a little project I have started.

I currently own an 08' RTX-X with 23hrs and I just picked up an entire Riva stage 1 kit. I completed the air intake and all other engine compartment stuff and now I'm on to the impeller (got the impeller removal tool), pump wedge, extension arm etc. upgrade. Along with the Stage 1 kit, I figured it would be a good opportunity the replace the wear ring so I pick one of those up as well.

I've searched high and low on how to replace an impeller on an RXT and cannot find anything thing on that subject and I'm hoping someone can point me to some step-by-step instructions.

Also, I have to say that the engine compartment stuff was a royal pain, but I managed to pull it off. Is swapping the impeller, pump wedge, extension rod, and wear ring going to be easier then what I went through? I know some of you may not think it's all that difficult, but for me it was a huge challenge provided my limited knowledge of the inter workings of mechanics.

Any info you can provide is much appreciated and I hope to be able to contribute real soon instead of sponging for information.
    impeller is ez to change, take off the pump cone and there will be a large allen head. losen that bolt and the impleller will slide out.pump wedge also ez. the 4 bolts that hold the pump to the nozzle, reverse linkage and steering linkage pump will slide out. as far as the wear ring. i put the whole pump in the freezer and new wear ring overnight and in the morning it will pull right out and new one will slide right in. "i heard the new wear rings are a bitch though they supposed to be a tighter fit than the old ones. someone will chime in with more info. GL

Actually that was the first place I looked but came out empty handed on this subject. I will try another search and see if I missed something. Thanks!

+1
    Yes impeller and wear ring will be a lot easier than the work you did inside the engine compartment. Anything you need is here on this site. It has allowed me to do so much of my own work that I used to pay big for. Just type what you need in the search areas and what you need will be there. Good luck to you and welcome to this great site.

+1
    Its pretty easy bro. Once you get your prop out put your entire pump in the freezer for about an hour.

When you get it out the wear ring will pretty much fall out and then you can slide the new one in. Let it warm a bit and tap around the edges of it lightly.

After that put your prop back in and reassemble everything.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    Its pretty easy bro. Once you get your prop out put your entire pump in the freezer for about an hour.
    +1 on the freezer method... easy as it gets!!

+1
    Me too. The easiest thing I have done yet is replace my wear ring. The freezer method is the only way to go.

Ok can you please tell me if this big allen thingie needs to be removed before taking the pump off, I already removed the big 4 bolts and it still won't come off so I think that needs to be removed. Anyone know the size of that allen, I'll need to go buy one. It's one of those days

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	177911  

+1
    Nope, only need to mess with that once the pump is OFF if you want to remove the impeller. If the 4 bolts are out, and all the linkages are disconnected, do some gentle pulling and wiggling and it should come out.

Should add, I cannot see in your pictures, but you have the four bolts for the nozzle off, but I can't see if you have the other four bolts out that hold the pump to the transom plate.
    Last edited by Vern; 03-14-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Added

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information