Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool new polaris 700sl owner

Hey guys,

Man are these things addicting. I been reading greenhulk for a while here but just signed up. Best place I've found for info. I just today picked up a 96 polaris 700sl. The ski is in great shape but has sat for a while and the starter is bad. I have heard something about there being different color motors, I have the red one, is that good? Also are there any worthwhile mods to do to this? Thanks all. Summer is just around the corner and lookin forward to riding.

If the ski is stock it will bounce really bad,you may want to check out the ride plate and intake grate to see if those parts are stock,if not you want to upgrade,and also check out your ignition parts,there is a update kit for that,search on here and you will find all the info you need.does it have sponsons?some did not ,if not you may want to add those,i bought one of those to and learned many things by researching on this site.if it sat for awhile card rebuild is a must.

+1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

+1
    the red 700,777 (800), 900, 1050, 1200 motors are domestic.. the blue ones are fugi 650, 750, 780, 785

the domestic need a up date kit.. if not they will fail

the sl is a fun hull... i have had two.. and right now i have a sl1050 and i love that hull but its better for one person and you get wet.. if your looking for more then one rider look at a slt or sltx or a new polaris 3 seater..

as far as mods go.. ride plate.. intake grate depending on where you are riding are the best.. im not sure if you have sponsons but if not those will help as well..

motor wise there are options but in my opinion your better off getting a bigger motor and doing mods to that but thats just my .02.. you will enjoy that ski if what you are looking is playfull one too two riders!

+1
    oh yeah and welcome!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below and read away

+1
    WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The 700 SL is a fun ski, should run about 46-48 MPH, good on fuel,and playful. Not a lot of mods to be done without putting in more money then gains per dollars, with the triple cylinders skis,there are alot of triple pipes,ect. I would say rebuild the carbs, and clean the fuel system out. check the prop for condition,and enjoy what you got. If you want faster,then save the money and get a bigger ski as a starting point. The 700 is a pretty bullet-proof motor if maintained.
    Welcome to the Hulk.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Don't let these guys scare you.

The SL700 can be a good, fun, reliable ski if properly maintained. The question is, did the previous owner maintain it?

There is an electrical update kit for the domestic (red) engines, but the P.O. may have already installed it. Don't worry about it, unless yours fails.

Due to the age, and relative cheap nature, you should rebuild the carbs and replace the fuel hoses. If you have a fuel restriction, you WILL cause piston damage. So putting a little more $$ into it now, will save you a headache and having to do it later.

What type of water will you be riding in? Rough, choppy, or smooth? You should set the ski up for what you will NORMALLY be riding in. Wouldn't make sense to set it up for top speed if you ride in rough water usually, because you'll never reach top speed.

The SL is the 2 seater, but really doesn't ride 2 adults comfortably andi it normally will make the ski porpoise (bounce up and down) when getting up to speed. There are things you can modify to help the problem, but not eliminate it altogether.

How about few pics of the ski? We can often tell you if anything has been done to it already.

Question trouble in the water

Thanks all for your responses, took carbs apart, rebuilt them cleaned out fuel lines, new starter, and an oil pump block off kit, and she fired right up...out of the water. The hull has no damage whatsoever and did not take on ant water when it sat or at idle., when we put her in the water she took a few cranks but fired up. water immeadiately started coming out of the bilge pump. As soon as i started to ride after about ten seconds she stalled and made a loud alarm kinda noise. took off the seat and there was about 4 or 5 inches of water in it that fast. Im pretty good with engines and cars but the whole pwc is new to me, I'm thinkin something is bad around the intake grate area. Any suggestions on what to look for? I really didnt get to investigate much after we pulled it outta the water cuz we ran outta daylight up here in PA. Thanks guys again for your input before and any help would be awesome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information